My iBook turned itself off

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by croberts134, May 23, 2006.

1. croberts134 macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2005
    I have an iBook G4 that I bought in September 2005.

Yesterday I was travelling on Amtrak and had my computer plugged into one of the outlets so I wouldn't use the battery up while watching a movie. All of a sudden the AC and train lights turned off and so did my computer. I figured the electricity to the car went out for a second but I'm not sure why that made my computer turn off.

I tried to turn my computer back on but it wouldn't do anything. No start up screen, not even any fan noise. Just a dead computer. I tried about every 5 minutes in vain to restart my computer. Once I got to my train station and then to my apartment (about 30 minutes after last attempt), my computer turned on as if everything was normal.

I was wondering if this had ever happened to anyone else and if anyone thinks I need to have my computer checked out. Thanks.
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I suppose it's possible there was a voltage irregularity, but unless it was a real surge I'd think the AC/DC converter would protect you from most of it.

Try unplugging the adapter at home and plugging it back in after the same amount of time it was out in the train to see if you can replicate the problem. Take it in if you can. Otherwise, it's probably OK.
  3. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    I have an iBook that's done the same thing, only it was plugged in at home while the problem occurred. The problem just seemed to stop on it's own after a while.