My identity has been stolen

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ShadowHunter, Feb 16, 2006.

1. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Ugh...more crap to deal with in life. At least 1 credit card has been opened in my name, using my SSN, phone, address, everything. They tried to purchase industrial refrigeration equipment? Maybe its terrorist related, I am sure you can make some cool bombs out of "industrail refrigeration" stuff.

The VISA people told me to call the SSN fraud hotline, but they are closed. I'm probably going to need to randomize my bank account numbers and change my Any other suggestions?
  2. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    oops sorry that was me... you no, that industrial refridgeration stuff is expensive and you never no when your gonna need it. I'll give it back as soon as i can! :p ;)

ok enough of that.... sorry to hear. My dad's credit card was stolen and the the guy spent over $7,000 in less than 3 hours. :eek:
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

That's nothing, I could spend $15,000 in 3 minutes. :D ;)

Seriously though, that sucks big time. Do you have any idea how they got your info?
  4. ShadowHunter thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    God only knows. Everyone in the world probably has my info between school and student loan apps and all the online purchasing I do (though I use a little discretion, reputable vendors, etc)
  5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been through this hell before. Here's what you'll need to do.

1. File a police report.
    2. Contact all 3 credit bureaus. Get your credit reports.
    Put a password on your credit accounts - will stop people from being able to open instant credit accounts in stores. I also recall receiving mailings before credit cards were allowed to be open in my name. I also stopped credit card offers from coming in the mail as many people steal these things.
    4. Ask for new bank account and credit card account numbers.
    5. Document everything you do; names, times etc.

Took me endless hours and a month to clear it all up. I got hit pretty hard. Hope you caught it early.

Good luck.

I added identity fraud protection to my homeowners policy for $18 a year. Gives you a central place to call that will handle most of the issues should it happen again.
  6. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    How do you go about stopping all those credit card offers? My boyfriend gets them all the time. As for my credit, I dare someone to steal it-they'de give it back skippy quick:D
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    You can take care of that through the credit bureaus...