My iffy Superdrive......

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by iGav, Mar 23, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

I can't believe it, my Superdrive in my PowerBook is on the blink!! :(

Well it's one of those intermittent problems actually, start up machine, put disc in, works fine!

Eject disc, insert another disc and hey presto it spins the disc, makes a clunk noise and ejects it. It does this with any disc, CD, DVD, CD-RW, DVD-R......

Yet if I restart it all seems well, I can put a disc in and it reads it..... but as soon as I eject it, it won't take another disc..... just clunks and spits it out.... So I'm figuring that something in the drive doesn't reset itself when you eject a disc, but does reset when you restart the machine... truly bizarre!

I'm calling Apple tomorrow to get it picked up.... and repaired, unless anyone here has any suggestions??? I've already done the Apple discussion boards FAO for the slot loader, but none of their suggestions worked!!

Looks like being a week and a half without my Mac.... :(

Unless it takes them 2 months like last time I used Applecare.... :rolleyes:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sorry to hear of your problems, I know you waited along time for Apple to release the 1Ghz TiBook. Just to let you know, my experiance with Applecare when I had to use it for a problem with my PowerMac was great, 48hrs from collection by the courier untill the time is was back on my desk working again!
    With a bit of luck you will recieve a service as good as I experienced :)

3. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Cheers bud.... ;)

The PowerBooks though have to go to Germany to be repaired... don't ask me why... it's an Apple thing.... my fingers are crossed to have it returned by the end of the week, but in reality I reckon it'll be a week Tuesday or something... either way I'll be on the fone to Apple first thing tomorrow, all fired up.... only to encounter those hyper-soothing Irish accents..... heh heh!!

What really annoys me is that this was the 3rd PowerBook Apple sent to me within the space of a month (Dec to Jan), so to have the 3rd one go down as well.... suffice to say that my experiences with Apples over the last 2years has been less than impressive...... :rolleyes:

4. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I'm really curious about the timeframe with an overseas repair. Please let us know how you turn out?

Dan