My iMac keeps freezing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amy2005, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Amy2005 macrumors regular

Hi

My iMac has been freezing everyday for the last week, more than once on most days. I'm not sure if this is just a problem that will go away or if it is serious. Can i just do a system erase and restore or do i need to take it in to my nearest apple shop for repair?

Thanks
    Amy

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

try the usual; Repair Permissions, zap PRAM, and run fsck (gotta search around for this one; i couldn't find it in the guides). If problems are still happening, reinstall, if they still persist, get it replaced.

3. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

What are you doing when it freezes? That will help us out a lot.

4. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

It normally freezes when i turn it on, and sometimes it comes up with a load of writing (it did this last monday 28th and today 4th more or less at the same time) it said something about debugging and a network i think, but i dont use a network, i just have an ethernet cable to use the internet.

Sometimes it just freezes when i have an application loading, for example it did it for dashboard, safari and mail once.

Would it help if i did the hardware test that comes on one of the cds that comes with the iMac (however i am not totally sure what this is for) or if i did the repair startup disk using the mac os x cds? (this was suggested in disk utility).

Thanks
    Amy

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Doing the hardware test wold be a good thing to do.

If you have an ethernet cable to use the internet you use a network.

6. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Hi Amy,

I'd definitely suggest trying the hardware test disk first. It's pretty easy to get working - insert the disk, then restart. Then, just after the startup sound, hold the D key. Full details from Apple are here. (I'm assuming you've got a new iMac... if you haven't, the procedure might be a little different. Usually, it'll say on the disk itself how to start the hardware tests).

Let us know the results of the tests, and we'll work from there!

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

In the vast majority of instances, symptoms of this kind suggest a hardware failure, and most often, faulty RAM. The diagnostic advice you've received so far is good, but you don't want to reinstall OSX. This is extremely unlikely to fix your problem, and if the Mac freezes part way through the reinstall process, you could find yourself in even mores serious trouble.

8. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Hi Amy

May I suggest a few things as well?

Unplug all external devices connected to your iMac, if any. This includes your printer(s), scanner, external speakers, etc. etc. and *your network cable*

If you're using a 3rd party keyboard/mouse revert to the Mac originals if possible. Or just disconnect them. Remember you don't need either on startup (unlike windoz).

It wouldn't be the 1st time that an external device was the cause.

Question.

Did you ugrade the (add) Ram? If so it may be the cause. Please don't attempt to remove it unless you are very sure of what you are doing.

9. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

I just did a hardware test and there was no problem found. It locked up during start up twice since then with my ethernet cable unplugged. So i started up from the Mac OS X install disc. When i bought my mac in May 2004 I got some extra memory put in by the shop i got it from. I'll try and get a new ethernet cable and see if that helps.

Thanks
    Amy

10. Glanical macrumors newbie

a simelar situation

Hi, i just bought a G4 Ibook second hand, when i first got it it was freezing just the same as amys, after erasing and re installing it was still doing it..... so i took out the ram, as the person who sold it had just added extra. Its seems to be fine now, its not freezing but its not very fast and sometimes even when its performing a simple task the multicoloured wheel starts to spin, and sometimes the mouce jumps.... do you think the ibook is too old or faulty, shall i give it back or is this normal? if anyone could shed some light? im abit of a novice... thanks!

11. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

Your profile says you have a iMac G5, although you later say you bought it in May 2004 (the iMac G5 came out in August 2004). If you do have a first generation iMac G5, I would first take off the back cover and check for blown capacitors. Apple has a warranty extension on the iMac for this problem:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/repairextensionprogram/

You better hurry though, as the extension is currently for 2 years from the date of purchase, which means the first buyers may already be out of luck. Search google for pictures of what to look for.

Apple's site mentions specific symptoms which you aren't describing, but I had the blown capacitor problem with my iMac G5. Like you, all I experienced was random crashes, but I could visually see the problem on the motherboard. I had the motherboard swapped under warranty.

12. Amy2005 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the link. i got it in may 2005 sorry, not may 2004. My mac is within the serial numbers on there. I'm taking it to an apple shop tomorrow to see if it can get repaired. I'm not sure if i have the blown capaicitors though.

Thanks again
    Amy

13. MacLiving macrumors newbie

I know how to fix it.

i had the same problem with my iMac G4. i need to replace the hard drive. I tried all the other things people are saying and it does not work. Replace the harddrive and it will fix the problem.You can put up to a 120Gb in the G4 800Mhz series.Let me know if you want to sell it.

Take Care and Good Luck,
    MacLiving