My iMac Ticks, and freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jminer4, Mar 31, 2007.

1. jminer4 macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2007
    This started about 4 months ago, my iMac G5 started ticking, kind of like a clock, and then two weeks later, it began freezing.:eek:

this continued for about two more months, gradually getting worse, to the point where, if the computer wasn't touched for over ten minutes, and you retuned, the open application would freexe, and then the finder would freeze the second you clicked anything.:(

to combat this, i bought an external acomdata HD from compusa, thinking perhaps there was too much stuff om my mac.

i also did a ton of repairs, diagnostics and stuff with disk utility, and i reset the smu and pram like six times.:mad:

i eventually backed everything up on my HD and wiped the computer.:)

the first time i started it, it froze before even finishing the registration and stuff, so i stopped using it for about a week.:mad:

i talked to a IT guy at my school, and he said that the RAM i installed when i first got it may have gone bad. i removed it, and the computer worked much better.

it still ticked, about evert half hour for like six seconds,, but seldom froze.

one night, about a week ago, i left it on with my HD plugged in and it froze overnight.:mad:

i turned it off, and obviously couldn't eject my HD. the next time i tried to use the HD, it's little blue light would turn red, and the computer couldn't read it. strangly, Disk Utility could see it.:confused:

eitherway, i left it on for about a half hour and the computer eventually found it, so im not sure if it has a problem or if it was just acting up.:confused:

so, is my 1GB stick of RAM from crucial bad, or it it my logic board, and removing the RAM only slowed down the bad boards ability to freeze the computer?

it always ticks twice right before i shut it down now, but really dosn't freeze that often. is the apple ram bad too, or was it the only bad stick, and should i try just using the crucial RAM?

Please help:confused:

BTW im leaving for pittsburd in two hours, so if you post, i wont be able to replu untill tuesday, sry
  2. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
  3. jminer4 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 31, 2007
    no, but i had a S.M.A.R.T. detector before it crashed, and im using on now, and it says it's fine, so i havn't yet
  4. flick macrumors newbie

Oct 3, 2006
    loose ram?

I had this problem once - I think it might be loose ram. Unseat all your RAM and then re-insert it. Make sure it's snug.

My computer had gotten enough shaking over the years that the RAM had wiggled out.

Maybe other cards etc are loose as well?
  5. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    A ticking computer screams "Bad hard drive!" to me, I don't care what S.M.A.R.T. says. RAM problems don't cause audible sounds.
    My $.02