My impressions of iLife '05 so far

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hikeNM, Jan 22, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

After some minor hassles with Fedex, my copy of iLife '05 arrives. Here are my impressions so far. Im running this on a PowerMac G5, 1.8 single, with 512 MB RAM.

iPhoto---Seems to take about the same amount of time starting up, but after that it's way faster than '04-------It still takes a split second once you double click a pic to change from organize to edit mode, but no complaints----I love having the other pics in the album arranged above the main pic in edit mode------multiple albums in a folder?, what a novel idea!!!!-----I really like being able to have video in iPhoto, but so far, everytime I watch the videos in iPhoto it opens a seperate Quicktime window, i was expecting the video to just play imbedded in the iPhoto window, if there is a way to do this and anybody knows how, please let me know-----i like being able to create and save slideshows, but theres no way to not create a slideshow and have it saved if you don't want to----for instance, if I only want to watch a slideshow once, you have to create a slideshow in the source pane and then go back and delete it like deleting an album if your done with it----if anybody knows how to keep from doing this please let me know----haven't had time to mess much with retouching, but it seems to work better

iMovie----hadn't had a chance to look at much there

iDVD----I really like the new templates-----it just adds that much more variety to the mix-----burning takes the same amount of time, but now we have a window to watch exactly what the thing is doing every step the way----you can actually see the video its working on as its being encoded----somehow that makes me feel better

Garageband----no time yet

I'll post back if i find out anything else

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I noticed how much faster the iPhoto was today, was at an apple store playing with the new iPhoto-it was WAY faster, and it was on a Mac Mini.

3. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

sharing doesn't work in iMovie... I would imagine an update will be out soon for that... Not to mention the edit volume box is different, & I haven't quite figured out where it is yet, lol... The new layout of iPhoto is much nicer in my opinion...

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Editing in iphoto is much faster and "fades". A friend and I both put up $40 for it this morning because we couldn't justify paying $80 for just updates and no new apps. :(

5. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

iphoto

like it so far...

- editing features, especially the histogram and other tools
    - calendar view
    - organize video clips from digital camera inside iphoto
    - printing features fixed/changed a little

don't like...

- video clips are black in organize view - you don't see initial shot in very beginning
    - there's no smart album category for video clips (or am i missing something?)
    - the book creation is buggy and photo crashes a lot when designing a book
    - slower than iphoto 4 on older g4 macs (400 mhz)

will do more tests ....

6. BIS2 macrumors regular

installation question

Thanks for the reports so far....

Do any of you who have already started using iLife know if the $79 version can be installed on more than one computer? I called Apple and they said no, its only for one, buy the $99 family pack. An employee at the Apple store told me you can install it ($79 version) on as many as you want. But when I went to buy it, the employees at the counter said the $79 version is one computer only. So, what have people who have already installed it found?

Thanks!

7. Dan8302 macrumors member

Dan8302

iDVD question

DoesDVD stil have the 99 image limit to it or has that been changed... I hope
    thanks

8. jermsmingy macrumors regular

RAW Support isn't that great

The main reason that I upgraded to iLife 05 was for the RAW support in iPhoto. So far, my expectations have not been met. The one thing that I loved about iPhoto was it was great at organizing my photos, but editing capabilities were that great. No big deal, I set photoshop to my external editor and all was well. I love shooting in RAW cause when I open the photo in photoshop I have so many options to enhance my photo. I was expecting to be able to doulbe click the RAW file in iPhoto and have it open up as a RAW file in Photoshop, but sadly it only opens as a JPG file. I'm now left we 2 choices.

1) Use a separate transfer program to bring my photos in, edit them in photoshop, save them as Jpegs and bring them into iphoto
    2) Import them using iphoto, and have less options to edit the photo

I've thought about why apple didn't do this, and I thing I understand the problems they would run into, but still, I wish there was somway that this issue could be fixed.

Also, iLife 05 is a little buggy, I've already had evey application crash on me. Can't wait for that first update. Hurry Apple.

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I believe iLife 05 was rushed out the door to make it in time for MacWorld. The same happened when Apple rushed Final Cut Pro 4 out the door in time for NAB. The program ended up being full of serious bugs that were considered door crashers.

10. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Sharing has only been disabled only for protected content. Apple obviously disabled it because people were using this feature to strip the DRM from songs purchased through iTunes. I had to revert back to iMovie 4 because of this new "limitation."

11. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I believe the 99 pic limit is actually part of the DVD standard and not a limitation with iDVD. DVD Studio Pro also limits slideshows/menus.

12. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

please clarify

Not sure what you mean by "sharing" in iMovie. Do you mean importing audio tracks from another user (via iTunes music sharing)? I guess that's understandable.

However, I really need a way of using my purchased music in non-comercial projects I'm doing in FCP. Can I still import my own purchased tracks into iMovie 5 and export them as QT audio for FCP?

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "protected content" ?... I put together a 1 min. movie of my dogs playing in the snow & wanted to put it on my homepage- but it kept coming up error 43... I went on Apples support page & everyone is having the same troubles...

14. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Sharing means putting it on your home page or for web streaming & email..

15. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Let me clarify what I said. By sharing I mean exporting itunes purchased files out of imovie. iMovie HD will no longer let you do this.

16. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Seriously? The great thing about the iTMS was it had relatively few restrictions on what you could do with your music after you purchased it. But now with the sharing limits in iTunes 4.7.1 and now in iMovie, I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm still hoping it's only a bug.

17. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

from what i understand, you can go to Share->Export and your RAW photo original will be saved to whereever you designate. then you can edit with PS. you'd still have to re-import that edited file back into iphoto. i know that's not the same thing as double clicking and editing straight into PS, but it's another workaround...

18. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

So you can use purchased music in iMovie but you can't export quicktime movies with it. Can you open the .mov reference file in QT Pro then export from there?

Is it possible to keep iMovie 4 as a working application on my powerbook after installing iMovie HD? Anyone know how to do this?

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you move iMovie somewhere other than Applications when installing then you will be able to use both.

20. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

In iPhoto, slide transitions are back for systems with less than 32MB of video memory (nice!). I have my iBook on a hacked screen span and had lost these affects. It's good to have them back...

21. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

hmm... for me, sharing works perfectly, at least when I use Quicktime > Expert Settings > MPEG-4. Haven't tried web/email yet...

22. ibilly macrumors regular

GoDD

Does PS support your camera's raw format? 7 doesn't support mine, BUT I have discovered a workable workaround for you lucky ones: GoDD (good ol' Drag 'n' Drop) (sorry). I took a raw from iPhoto 5 and draged it atop PS7's dock icon and *poof* "Photoshop could not open "....CRW" because it is not the right kind of document." This of course shows that iPhoto sent the orig, raw file, and that my copy of PS couldn't handle it.

On a l=slightly related note, can anyone tell me how to make Photoshop 7 handle Canon's raw format (.CRW)?

-b

23. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

try checking adobe's website for the new 2.4 raw update. it should be supported.

24. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

adobe can tell you that. you will probably have to pay for the feature...