Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'm quite easy. What I would like to see is: -

- DLNA support (assuming this can be done via software, pretty sure it can).
- The ability to attach photos to emails from the compose email screen.
- The ability to send messages in iMessage by pressing either enter or shift+enter on a hardware keyboard. Having to press the touchscreen to send the message is a pain, especially when using a wireless keyboard!

Non-realistic:

- Access to the filesystem.
- Run any app in the background.

How about you? :D

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

- The ability to send messages in iMessage by pressing either enter or shift+enter on a hardware keyboard. Having to press the touchscreen to send the message is a pain, especially when using a wireless keyboard!

Non-realistic:

Ability for apps to share data in a secured sandbox - even from core OS API.
(Twitter in ios 5 does not recognize websites asking to post/sign-in VERY annoying.)

Ability to collapse email folders - many users at work have so many sub-folders it's insane! Lawyers and those in investor relations.

I want the viewable window in which we type to show at least 3 lines below text entry. (for example quoting your pat and typing my reply is perfect on iPad, yet on iPhone I cannot see this particular sentence when typing.) aaarg!

Ability to theme iOS: icons, menus etc.

rahul247rocks

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
There should be a feature where you can create virtual windows and assign different apps. Also it would be nice to see a brand new multi tasking feature, siri integration between various devices where you can leave your conversation on one device and continue on another. Lets hope for the best

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I'd really like to see some form of access to a filesystem of sorts for sharing files between apps. To a degree, something already does exist. Apps that have shared files give you access to their shared files directory in the Apps tab of iTunes. Also, the photos app gives extensive access to your photos in many other apps, including the iWork suite.

I'm all for allowing attachment of a photo to an email from the compose window (the lack of this is certainly one of my pet peeves), but I'm just saying I want more. If I have a PDF in GoodReader and a friend sends me an email asking me to send it to him, I want to be able to hit Reply, then attach the PDF, then send it. Right now, the workflow looks much the same as sending a photo. Return to the Home Screen, launch GoodReader, touch the PDF, select "mail", etc.

There should be a feature where you can create virtual windows and assign different apps. . .

While this is something that you can do with JB devices, I wouldn't hold out much hope for ever seeing anything like this native in iOS. It's just too antithetical to the core design principles that Apple has employed in the iOS UI.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
I'd really like to see some form of access to a filesystem of sorts for sharing files between apps. To a degree, something already does exist. Apps that have shared files give you access to their shared files directory in the Apps tab of iTunes. Also, the photos app gives extensive access to your photos in many other apps, including the iWork suite.

I'm all for allowing attachment of a photo to an email from the compose window (the lack of this is certainly one of my pet peeves), but I'm just saying I want more. If I have a PDF in GoodReader and a friend sends me an email asking me to send it to him, I want to be able to hit Reply, then attach the PDF, then send it. Right now, the workflow looks much the same as sending a photo. Return to the Home Screen, launch GoodReader, touch the PDF, select "mail", etc.

Agreed. That's what I really want, I'm just thinking that Apple tends to do things one step at a time.. I don't expect they'll give us full access to the file system in one update :p

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
The first thing that springs to mind is being able to download/update single applications without being thrown into the home screen every time. Seriously, it amazes me Apple has not yet done this.

Another is pull down to refresh in Safari.

More usage statistics available, and specifically details of what apps/processes are using how much battery - I love this in Android 4.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia

Non-realistic:

Aren't there a million other threads on this...?

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
The first thing that springs to mind is being able to download/update single applications without being thrown into the home screen every time. Seriously, it amazes me Apple has not yet done this.

Another is pull down to refresh in Safari.

More usage statistics available, and specifically details of what apps/processes are using how much battery - I love this in Android 4.

Good point actually - that's a very annoying "feature."

Makes sense.

Same here, really easy to assess what's using your battery and you can make educated choices to improve the situation if you need to.

Aren't there a million other threads on this...?

Not on the first page so they must all be dead! People will probably be more willing to discuss it now that it's only a day or so away.

------------------------------------------

I forgot about some of my most wanted features! ---

- Access to commonly used settings (bluetooth/wifi etc) in the notification bar (or somewhere else that's accessible from any window; multitasking bar maybe?)
- Widgets!

Last edited:

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Same here, really easy to assess what's using your battery and you can make educated choices to improve the situation if you need to.

Do you find the cellular radio standby is the biggest battery drainer? Seems to be pretty huge on my GS3, but I'm on Three so it is always connected to HSDPA.

If I've been using the phone a lot then it's mainly the screen that draws the majority of power, but standby it's the radio. I like to see all the individual apps that use their fair % too though.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
When you tap the x it deletes the character to the left of the selection marker, I'd like it to delete to the right of it when you tap shift + x, like when do you fnc + delete on OS X.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
iOS 6 would let users remove some of iOS built in app that they never use like Stock and compass app. iTunes and App store app merge into one...

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
A file system of sorts might not be that farfetched. On OS X Mountain Lion they are going to introduce saving normal files to iCloud. I wouldn't be that surprised if there was an iCloud app on iOS6 that lists out all of your iCloud documents and opens them in their respective apps.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not that this matters to me much because I am always jailbroken....But I really hope they change the look of that lock screen. They really need to spruce it up a little bit.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
I would love like admin accounts or guest account. Maybe that's just personal. But other people in my house use my iPad and sometimes I don't like it because my email and iMessage it's log in. Other personal stuff ect. So I wish I could like log out and let them use like a guest account. Maybe ? How unlikely you guys think this is?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
If apple would just implement the 3 most popular jailbreak tweaks, quite a few more people would be happier.

Backgrounding
Filesystem
Heck, maybe even Winterboard.

There's a reason they are so popular.

matttye

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Do you find the cellular radio standby is the biggest battery drainer? Seems to be pretty huge on my GS3, but I'm on Three so it is always connected to HSDPA.

If I've been using the phone a lot then it's mainly the screen that draws the majority of power, but standby it's the radio. I like to see all the individual apps that use their fair % too though.

Yeah, its time without a signal that drains the battery. I also found that I had a nasty kernel wake lock that was keeping my phone awake for about 4 hours while the screen is off. This meant battery used by Android OS was like 12%. Apparently using a static IP solves the type of wake lock I had, so I've tried that. Hope it works!

----------

Another feature I'd like is Androids multitasking switcher. You get to scroll vertically between previews of apps and simply swipe to close them. Its quicker than using wiggle mode!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.