My IP identity

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Lacero, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Can the sender uncover my IP address if I reply to their email? And, would they be able to recover my IP from the computer from which I downloaded the email?

I am using Apple Mail and POP currently. Would I be more secure in using GMail (thanks Jamie!) or Yahoo Mail?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I just emailed myself and can see my IP address in the header.

Return-Path: <_____@nzweb.net>
    Delivered-To: _____@nzweb.net
    Received: (qmail 725 invoked by uid 89); 14 Sep 2005 07:32:19 -0000
    Received: from unknown (HELO ?192.168.1.2?) (203.167.___.__)
    by mail01.internetmailserver.net with SMTP; 14 Sep 2005 07:32:19 -0000

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That is the most suspicious thing I have ever read at MR. Nice job, Lacero. :p

Now do what all criminal masterminds do.......go to your public library and send the mail from there. If there are security cameras, don't do it. If they choose to, they could look at the time you sent the email, check the surveilance tapes during that time, and get a clear view of who you are.

Or go to your friends house and email from there.

Good luck.

(I saw and heard nothing)...

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I managed to restrain myself from making a comment like that :p

5. Lacero thread starter macrumors 604

Lacero

Your suggestions will come in handy one day.

The problem I am having now is I suspect someone may be stalking me. It's a long story so I shall not burden you with the details. No criminal intent on my part. :p

Thanks Abstract.

Also Nermel, I've figured out how to view my source headers. Thanks, also.

6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you want to do your mailing from the comfort of home, cotse.net or a similar proxy service would take care of your problem. Just make sure to send test messages to yourself and check the headers, as some mail programs try to helpfully insert identifying information in case the server "forgets".

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can you hook up your computer to your mobile phone and use that as your internet connection?

8. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

um... public wifi hotspots (or better yet wardriving ) could work to the evildoer's advantage...

but back to the task at hand, stalking is a serious matter. I would say it's worth it to get proper help and advice rather than winging it yourself.

9. jim. macrumors 6502

Is there any recourse for a person being stalked in the UK? I think in America they don't take you seriously unless you have money, or they have physically threatened you (or done something to you). That could just be my more jaded than usual viewpoint today though.

Jim

10. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If your mail system has webmail sign in there, that may make it so it uses your ISP or mail providers IP address.

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea...

I think in all cases you're better off using Gmail or Hotmail if complete anonymity is what you're after. I too use the regular mail account provided by my ISP, but only for business and/or family. For friends and acquaintances (and even this forum) I use one of two separate hotmail accounts.

I'm curious though...does your IP address not change upon each log in? I'm fairly certain mine does, and I'm assuming my ISP assigns me a new one with each new session. Seems like it'd be much easier for the ISP to use a DHCP kind of set up rather then actually reserve a particular address for me...

stalkers...ew. You're a very lovely girl...maybe you'd be wise to remove the pic from your profile?

cheers

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

LOL

beatsme, you're new here. Just a wee hint -- avatars are not necessarily the actual person (or gender, or in my case, species) who is posting....

'scuse me while I go back to chewing my cud... ;)

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahhhh, Lacero, I love you. :)

Can you use a proxy server, if you have access to one, and if you do, will it be the farthest upstream you can be traced? Unless you're affiliated with a university, though, you might not have a free proxy server.

14. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

good point...

yea I clicked on the avatar, and up popped her (his...its?) profile w/a very homemade looking photo. So I just assumed....

good to know
    :D

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, Lacero, in answer to your edited-in question...if you use G-Mail or another service and send mails from the web-based element of it -- like if you log into G-Mail or Yahoo mail through your web browser -- you should not be able to get an IP that goes farther back than Yahoo itself in the IP trail. That is, your own IP would be shielded.

16. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

You'd probably be best off changing your email address completely. When I was in a similar situation (very scary ex-boyfriend) I ended up having to create one new email address for any online services (myspace, forums, facebook, etc) and another that I only give out to people I trust. A bit of a hassle, but eases the worry. Yahoo mail seems to be very secure, I use it for my online stuff.

17. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Don't feel bad, many others have made that error. Here is Lacero's real pic.

Attached Files:

18. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Unless you're paying extra for the privilege of a static IP, just turn off your cable/DSL modem for a couple of min. and it should be different on startup. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone :eek: :cool:

19. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I don't think so...and least not if modems work the same as computer(i think they would) With computers undermost systems, there is a DHCP lease time, for windows when it is half way done it will attempt to contact the same DHCP server as it got its previous lease from, it will attempt to get the same IP as before. If it can not get the previous IP it will take any IP from the DHCP server after 3/4 of the time has passed it will attempt to get a lease from anyone it can, any server it is willing. Then if it can't get one it will drop its lease when it expires and have no IP. It will then continue to try until it gets one, but you will have a local assigned IP address (not a good idea) On boot up it will check with the DHCP server to see if it can still use the current address, if it can't it will change. So if that is the same as modems, it will keep the IP over shut down, unless someone else taken the same IP, which will normally not happen(with server 2003 DHCP service) correct me if I am wrong. :D

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Let me introduce: http://proxify.com/

Your solution to all anti-stalker needs.

Oh, and if you have a person stalking you buy your IP ADDRESS, that's really really scary...lol.

21. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You're wrong... :D

22. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I was waiting for you :p . So whats the deal? When does it change?

23. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

hehe rdowns

I'm so embarassed ;)

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i think most cable internet providers have dynamic IP addresses that change on their own every week or two. (this is the case with mine, with comcast) unplugging is a reset of sorts but it doesn't usually change the IP address that i know of.

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My dynamically-assigned IP address (from TimeWarner here in Charlotte) has not changed in about a year... and that's with quite a few cable outages in the interim.

Question: Is it even possible for a stalker, even if they have your IP address, to be able to tie that to a specific physical location? Seems to me like they'd be able to identify your town, perhaps, but no more precisely than that.