Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2012
With just normal usage, i.e - light web browsing, some youtube/facebook and a bit of gaming i get around 15 hours! This is with having auto-brightness, notifications and locations services on.

Is this the norm? Apple advertises (if i recall correctly) 10 hours usage.

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio
With just normal usage, i.e - light web browsing, some youtube/facebook and a bit of gaming i get around 15 hours! This is with having auto-brightness, notifications and locations services on.

from what i recall, when anandtech did their review on the ipad mini they had a battery chart of all the ipads and the ipad 4 had the longest...

mireille

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
I've noticed about the same: 14 hours of usage with a little more than 10% remaining (mostly web browse usage, a few full-length movies and tv show episodes, playing music, etc).

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Heard the battery life for the wifi-only iPad mini is quite impressive.

Not sure about the one with LTE though.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California

Same here. I charge my iPad 4 maybe around one every 2 -3 days. It's amazing how much battery power you can conserve when you adjust your brightness setting to something low.

Sheik Yiboudi

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
39.7589° N, 84.1917° W

Sounds like it. I've gone 5 days without charging it and over a day of actual usage in that timeframe. Right now I'm at 17h, 28m Usage with 3 days, 1h Standby and at 78% battery. My iPad 4 has the best battery life of any apple product i've ever owned.

Last edited:

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

benefits of the A6... the iPhone 5 gained a lot of battery life and as I suspected so did the iPad 4. Pretty amazing chip.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Sounds like it. I've gone 5 days without charging it and over a day of actual usage in that timeframe. Right now I'm at 17h, 28m Usage with 3 days, 1h Standby and at 78% battery. My iPad 4 has the best battery life of any apple product i've ever owned.

Do you really believe you can use it for 17 hours and have 78% left? :rolleyes:

It's a battery "leak" usage just going up in standby, typical iOS issue.

Try noting down the "usage" before bed then wake up and check it again... see how many hours of "usage" have been added

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheik Yiboudi

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
39.7589° N, 84.1917° W

Try noting down the "usage" before bed then wake up and check it again... see how many hours of "usage" have been added

Hey, I'm just going by what the device says. I'll give your little test a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
There is no 'leak' usage ... I have actually heard that term the first time ...

The usage is not only for when the screen is on ... It accounts for all the time the CPU is actually used for some tasks including background email / fb syncs and more !!

And yes, the battery life is awesome even on LTE ...

IMAGE_0F0A8669-2898-4B4B-803A-81F531735C8A.PNG

IMAGE_9A634DF7-1FE9-41D4-9D83-618103F48C4A.PNG

edwrap

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2012
I'm assuming by "leak" usage he means how some apps can request additional background processing time, and so will continue to increase usage time even after you put the ipad in standby. For instance, FileBrowser does this to maintain a network connection for up to 10 minutes, and this will obviously use very little power. Audio playback will also use very little power.

Still, if you keep brightness at 25% or thereabouts, 15-20 hours of web browsing and video playing should be attainable. I've been hitting that reliably since I got one.

Sid9900

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2013
Earth
iPad 4's battery life is brilliant

With heavy multiplayer and single player games, web surfing, listening to music all night and streaming movies or videos, I get over 20 hours of usage.
Right now my iPad is at 51% with 14 hrs of usage (multiplayer, web surfing, Facebook, downloading, streaming YouTube videos at 50% brightness )
Attached an image to show you guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 500

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

It depends on your usage pattern. Ive pulled 27 and 29 hours usage with 2-3days of standby before on my iPad 3.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

it could be. Companies will always err to the side of caution cause if they say up to 20 hours and most folks don't ever get that then they threaten lawsuits etc.

----------

No actually it probably isn't. Because few to no devices are 100% in non use unless they are powered off. Every time you bring this alleged flaw up you talk about putting it to sleep. Which means that there could be push email, GPS pings etc going on in the background which are not leaks but normal.

And how does Apple define standby. If it is merely the time when the screen is black then background processes wouldn't be counted during that time.

In an effort to sort out their definition I did a little experiment of my own. I fully charged my ipad so that the usage zeroed out. I put the ipad in Airplane mode and then force quit all apps out out the task bar and shut off the screen. 20 minutes later, zero usage and 20 minutes of standby. Repeated it but this time not in airplane mode. 20 minutes later I had 5 minutes of usage and 15 minutes of standby. with new mail received that wasn't there before and some 12 notifications from various online based games etc. Note those games were not running in the sense of being in my task bar. I had quit them. So clearly something was running. Just as it should have been, based on the apps I have on my ipad. And in that time I was still at 100% charge. So it is possible that someone could have 17 hours of usage and still have a 78% charge, depending on how much of that was active screen on usage and how much was just push etc while the display was asleep. And your talk of 'leaks' sounds more like you don't understand how the ipad runs than an actual issue

Last edited:

ty7u5

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
This is an ipad 2...over a year old and I feel battery life has improved. 17+ hours

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 452

ap105

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Here's my ipad 4

That's pretty impressive.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 427

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Mine is the lte model and uses more power then then iPad 3(didn't have lte here with it). Can't speak for wifi model. I get about 9.5hrs which is what the spec say. I guess a more efficient processor balances out the power difference.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It depends on your usage pattern. Ive pulled 27 and 29 hours usage with 2-3days of standby before on my iPad 3.

E.g.

21 hours here in just short of a week.

I can also burn it out in under 8 hours in a crazy Infinity Blade or Real Racing marathon.

All depends on usage,

IPad 3

pyguzyju.jpg

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Agree!

It does indeed have incredible battery life, probably the best I've seen in a mobile device.

I use mine heavily for Web browsing, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube, as well as reading magazines and newspapers every now and then, some days I even forget to charge it. There are nights where I leave it at let's say 80% when I go to sleep, the next morning (~7hours later) when I wake up its sitting at 79%, this thing barely uses any resources when in stand by, and even during usage it hardly gets warm, and it takes tiny sips of the battery, truly incredible.

Here's my battery usage from the other day:
bX23AO7.jpg

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
What is really the point of these threads? You can't compare battery life between different users. According to the usage meter, my mini normally runs out of power after about 6 hours of light use (PDFs, a little browsing) at around 100% brightness and varying WiFi signal. Under different conditions it might have lasted 12 (according to the meter anyway). Neither is a "correct" answer. It all comes down to how you use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.