iPad mini My iPad Min screen is defective... Screen squeaks when pressed instead of tapped

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MrXiro, Nov 7, 2012.

1. MrXiro, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Does any one else's iPad mini make a creaky clicking type sound when the screen is pressed a little harder than being tapped? I noticed last night as I was putting on my tech skin that the iPad glass creaked and clicked at certain points when I pressed down on it. It is in the middle but leaning a little closer to the edge where the volume controls are. Anyone else having creaking issues?

2. macrumors regular

ifraaank

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

MrXiro

I just examined it further. It seems my iPad Mini's screen has become detached from the chamfered edge of the middle right side edge of the body. I can actually feel the glass is sunken in slightly along the right edge compared to the left edge. So when I push down the edge of the glass is rubbing along the edge of the casing.

Dammit gotta get it exchanged. Does anyone know if apple will exchange the iPad mini if I bought it from Best Buy?

4. macrumors 6502a

How hard have you been pushing on the screen? It's meant for tapping/swiping, not mashing down on.

5. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Why not simply return it to Best Buy for a replacement ?

6. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

They will exchange even if bought at best buy

7. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

If you take it to Apple they'll give you a brown box replacement... probably new at this point since doubt refurbs are in the wild so soon. Take it back to BB and return it for a brand new white box one since the return period hasn't expired. Why take a chance at getting a refurb.

8. thread starter macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Sold out...

----------

I don't mash on it. I noticed it was squeaking when I was picking it up, pinching the screen and the back in my fingers to hold it, like when a person would pick up/hold a closed book.

Now when I push down on it I hear the squeaking every time. So I kept pushing to see where it squeaks. This is clearly a lemon. I've been way more gentle with the Mini than I had with any of my previous 3 iPads.

----------

If they had any. My local best buy only has the 64gb. I bought the 16gb.

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

MrXiro

They swapped me a new one at the Apple Store.

10. macrumors 604

mcdj

A creak may be annoying. Defective is another story.

11. thread starter macrumors 68030

MrXiro

Yeah they confirmed that the glass and edge were separated... the new one does not have the same issue. Clearly a defect.

12. thread starter macrumors 68030

MrXiro

You should read past titles...

13. macrumors 604

mcdj

Umm, you posted that it was officially deemed defective an hour after I made my comment. Do grasp that.

14. thread starter macrumors 68030

MrXiro

I described the issue at in the 3rd post on this page at 11:44pm dated Nov 7th as seen in the following quote:

Do read past titles sir... That includes later updates before snide comments, please.