My iPad stand is a plate stand

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by caubeck, Apr 24, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 2, 2007
    After an afternoon exploring every possibility that came to mind I hit on the idea of buying a plate stand for the iPad. I'm using it now. It lifts the device about four centimeters above the table, will not topple backwards or in any other direction, looks pretty cool and cost exactly 1 euro. I bought a medium sized one, plastic, in black. Here's an image of the sort of thing it is:

Styles no doubt vary.
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 2, 2009

Good tip. I have been using a business card holder but I think the plate stnd would be more stable.
  3. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    Congratulations. You just voided your warranty by using an non-Apple authorized accessory. :D (yes, just playing with you). Great idea. Seriously though some "Made for iPad" accessory maker will start importing these from HK at .50 each, put them in a fancy box, and sell them for $50. And people will buy them, laughing at your "ridiculous" plate stand.
  4. macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2010
    I am planning to use a cookbook stand I bought at Pier1 for about $5. It is sturdy, made out of metal and it holds very heavy cookbooks. :eek:
  5. macrumors member

Jan 3, 2010
    I use a book stand when needed. Nothing fancy, probably cost $5 at staples a while ago.
  6. macrumors newbie

Apr 15, 2010
    I think the plate stand ideas is pretty ingenious. Way to use your head. I will try it and give you all of the credit. Great job..I have a few of those around the house.
  7. macrumors 6502

Oct 4, 2009
    That's perfect. I may pick up one of those for the kitchen counter. It looks better than the dock and you can plug in the iPad while it's in the case. Simple wins every time.
  8. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2009
    LOL, it is called the Apple Case. :D
  9. macrumors 6502

Nov 16, 2009
    I use a cook book stand too! works great because it's flat
  10. macrumors 68000

Jan 19, 2010
    North Hollywood, CA
    I use a book stand too. I've had it for a long while, but it works great. I just looked it up; it's only $2.50 from this store.

It's the white one on the right. (6" white vinyl)
  11. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
  12. macrumors newbie

Apr 25, 2010
    Fancy stuff here ;)

Is there a consensus on business card holder vs dish holder vs book holder?
  13. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    The business card holder, in my opinion, was nice but it was not as stable. Using the iPad (hitting play/pause etc) while in the holder was ok, but hitting the home button needed more push. I was worried about the overall stability so I bought the plate holder. I didn't want something fancy looking in front so I bought the acrylic one and put felt down so it didn't scratch the iPad. I only just got a case today.
  14. macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2010
  15. macrumors 6502a

Dec 24, 2009
    You guys are quite ingenious. I'm using my brother's old iLap, but I' a little afraid of maybe the two aluminum surfaces scratching each other or something.
  16. macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I use the same one. I can't imagine spending $50 on something that is often bulkier and not any better, I like the way the acrylic "disappears" leaving just the iPad itself to be seen in all its glory - LOL!
  17. macrumors 65816

Jun 8, 2007
  18. macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2010
    Nice bump...

I'm curious though, wouldn't some of these plate stands be too abrasive without some kind of rubber to both hold the ipad in pace and also protect from scratches?
  19. macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Oct 9, 2005
    8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I bought the Gibson 3-A 3-wire holders /display stand, available at Amazon. They are just the right size for supporting the iPad and I have several of the black ones all around the house....
  20. macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2011
    For a $500+, I wouldn't go that cheap. I bought the Griffin A-frame for $29 shipped. Awesome product and it won't scratch the back of your new iPad.
  21. macrumors 65816

Jun 8, 2007
    The base is just plastic, and the back party is wrapped in a rubber coating. I usually used my iPad 1 with the Apple case and it stuck in there good.