Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfattack

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
Can anyone who's FIXED the problem post a picture showing the bottom side of their SIM including how the contacts are positioned on the tray?

I would appreciate this as well, I can't seem to figure out what everyone is exactly talking about, also when people are talking about shaving it down or bending it, if those people that did this and it worked could post images I would really appreciate it!

(i tried but still am having signal problems).

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I bet people that had this work for them won't want to fiddle with the SIM tray again. :p

You got that right. I got it to work. when I posted this thread it worked flawlessly, I tried to do the video just to screw the thing up. :mad:

I did again and now it works as it did from The Apple Store. I ain't touching it again!!;)

BeerLover!

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
I wish I could actually get this to work myself. I've found that there is absolutely no room for me to move the SIM card.

I did notice when I got in there and looking at it that one side of the SIM card is touching the frame of the SIM Tray.

I also noticed my SIM card looks like someone couldn't get it to fit and shaved the top part of it off pushing it in, scraping up the AT&T logo.

same scenario with my sim, this is how noticed the tiny piece of plastic which looked as if it was lifting the microsim off the tray and causing it to scrap along the iphone while being inserted.

Also, this may very well be why Apple is no longer issuing free bumper cases. They may have identified a sim tray to microsim fit/placement issue...

rotobadger

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Facinating. I'm looking forward to trying this tomorrow. I'm currently in a "no bar drop zone" but where I'm working I can make the phone lose signal. I will post back then (this thread will probably be huge by then).

Hawkeye411

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Canada EH!!!
same scenario with my sim, this is how noticed the tiny piece of plastic which looked as if it was lifting the microsim off the tray and causing it to scrap along the iphone while being inserted.

Also, this may very well be why Apple is no longer issuing free bumper cases. They may have identified a sim tray to microsim fit/placement issue...

They gave away some free bumper cases??!! :eek::mad:

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
You got that right. I got it to work. when I posted this thread it worked flawlessly, I tried to do the video just to screw the thing up. :mad:

I did again and now it works as it did from The Apple Store. I ain't touching it again!!;)

So you're back to losing signal?

wolfattack

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008

come on, be a hero for us!!!

ryuuzaki

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2010
I bet people that had this work for them won't want to fiddle with the SIM tray again. :p

Yeah I just did it and its kinda screwy now haha. I'm fiddling again til I figure something out.

God damnit its back now! why did it pull out the tray again -_-

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

You’re doing a lot of extrapolating to come to that conclusion. I’m not saying this won’t be the fix, but more testing is needed. Jav, post this stuff in the Apple website, okay? Also, I wouldn’t recommend people trimming the sim card. Jav, didn’t trim anything, and his worked.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
It could just bad sim tray design or weirdly cut sims.

I think this explains why not every phone has this death grip issue but also doesnt really explain why it works in some areas and not in areas. Unless it is totally arbitrary meaning if you have a weird sim/tray alignment, it just depends if you are gripping it in a way at that time that moves the sim somewhat so that it is touching the metal. Either way, it is design related and not software fixable. (I assume)

Some send this to steve jobs for investigation. ;)

Cambot

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2010
I went to an AT&T store to inquire about the MyCell thing they have now and read on MR that it stopped the signal being lost (in a probably buried forum). He asked me to demonstrate it in the store and I couldn't for the life of me get it to drop at all but could an hour earlier at the Apple store (loving the BT keyboard for iPad). He had the issue too but not in his store.

Sort of thinking the existing 3G coverage has been shoddy at least in my neighborhood but next to a good signal it's not noticeable? Anyone else? MyCell seems interesting.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
That might be a more precise explanation, but if that were the case, wouldn't that short out the SIM card contact points and hence cause signal loss immediately?

have you tired doing speed tests? ill get around 3 mbps with out my hand on it and around 300-700 kbps with it

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Even if this doesn't work for everyone (it didn't for me) it does explain why not everyone had the problem to start with and that a more reliable fix might not be impossible (and in reality could be incredibly cheap).

sanders4617

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Well, like many of people here I had the obnoxious signal loosing issue that is affecting a staggering amount of iPhone 4 users. However, I never realized I inadvertedly fixed the issue until just 10 minutes ago. I had signal issues since Day 1.

Bear with me thru this small story. I saw here a thread on MacRumors about a user experiencing camera issues on his iPhone 4. Said issue was that the camera showed a green spot in the center. I was sorta curious but never really paid much attention to it. This was 4 days ago. Flash forward to yesterday.

I was on the Apple Store picking out a new case for my iPhone 4, along with the respective screen protector. While I was doing that I saw an empty iPhone 4 demo unit and I decided to test drive FaceTime. I fired up both my iPhone 4 and the demo unit and connected. Disaster struck, my iPhone suffered from the same green spot effect as the iPhone from the user on MacRumors. Knowing full well, it was a hardware problem I set up an appointment for today at 6:30 PM.

Flash forward to today 6:30 PM. I got there at 6:15 and the Genius helped me out right away. He saw the problem, diagnosed my phone and concluded as previously stated it was hardware problem. Obviously warranty kicks in. He takes out my Micro SIM card and puts in the new iPhone (this was a brand new, not refurb unit). He activates it and hands it to me for mini inspection. first thing I do is check the camera, and against ALL odds, the same issue plagued this new phone. The Genius and I were, to say the least, shocked. Same issue, different phone. Now, how does this relate to the signal loss? Well, I am getting there so hang on tight.

The Genius does a comparisson between my iPhone and replacement unit to find the exact spot. He then pulls out his and does the comparisson to find his iPhone 4 too suffers from the dreaded green blob/spot. He then tells me there is no other replacement unit for my iPhone and that I had 2 choices. Take my current iPhone and wait if a software fix comes along, or take the replacement phone with me. I decided to wait and keep my phone (it is a hassle to resotre everything to previous state). So the Genius reswaped the SIM card to my phone back and handed it to me. (My iPhone spent 15 minutes with out SIM card while the Genius did all his tests on my and replacement unit, and while he asked for 2nd opinions on the green blob issue)

I went on my merry way, but realized something now. No matter what position I held my iPhone 4 in, the signal never decreased. I held it the many ways I know the signal issue pops and nothing. No bar loss, no signal loss, no call drop. NOTHING. So there you have it.

I am theorizing that moving the SIM card had something to do with the signal issue, because the only thing I have done to my iPhone 4 differently is take out and reinsert the SIM card. Other than that no other changes to it. No setting change, no software change no nothing. Just reinsertion of the SIM card. Now, to prove my theory, I need people who can test this and see if this fixes their iPhone. I know it did on mine, but on yours?

Check it out.

PS - No, I did not have the green blob issue fixed.

My signal issues went away last Friday. I could put my hand on left side and it would go from 5 bars to 2 bars in my house.. now it doesn't fall at all. All I did differently was discharge battery and recharge.. restore phone to a clean slate.. and had a case on it for a couple days. When I took the case off.. it didn't drop service. And I checked it again last night.. still good!

So my phone is working great except the proximity thing.. which I can live with.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
It could just bad sim tray design or weirdly cut sims.

I think this explains why not every phone has this death grip issue but also doesnt really explain why it works in some areas and not in areas. Unless it is totally arbitrary meaning if you have a weird sim/tray alignment, it just depends if you are gripping it in a way at that time that moves the sim somewhat so that it is touching the metal. Either way, it is design related and not software fixable. (I assume)

Some send this to steve jobs for investigation. ;)

If the sim connected to the antenna is causing additional interference, it would explain why sim interference + hand interference = too much interference.

matt550

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
This seems to have worked for me. I only had my phone off for 5 minutes. Didnt notice and small extra piece of plastic or anything like that, I'll have to look again.

Thanks!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.