My iPhone 5 has no Ringer, no Sounds

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Huntn, May 17, 2013.

1. Huntn, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

macrumors G3

Huntn

and it's not the silent switch. When a call comes in it vibrates. I've checked Settings:Sound and everything seems to be turned on. Is there another volume control somewhere? The ringer buttons on side are set to high volume.

I've selected Settings:Sounds and scrolled down to the different tones. When I select a new one, I normally hear it. This time none of the sounds work, the phone just vibrates...

Something else I've noticed, usually when I am using the keyboard, I hear a click sound when I type a letter. That no longer happens.

Last time I checked, I could use the phone and hear the other caller. Will recheck that this morning. Looking for some possibilities. Thanks!

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Silly question, can you hear music if played through the speaker?

3. Huntn, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013

thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

You'll think me strange but I don't normally listen to music on my phone. However I just tried it, played a song and no sound...

Edit: Chatting with Apple now... To clarify, alert, ringer tones don't work, but I can still place and hear people on phone calls.

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Can you hear people on speakerphone? Right now I'm saying the speaker is dead. That would not affect hearing them through the earpiece.

5. macrumors 6502

The speaker is blown. Happened to my cousin's VZW iP5 just last week.

Make a Genius Bar appointment and they will replace the phone for you.

6. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

Ding ding ding... You guys are right. The day I posted the thread, I took it to the local Apple Store. The speaker died in a 6th month old iPhone. Is this common? They replaced it in 15 minutes. If the phone had not been under warranty, I thought I saw $60 to repair.

7. macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Anything that costs less than $100 is cheap by iPhone standards. (At least in my books).

8. macrumors 6502a

Out of warranty service on the iPhone 5 is $229

9. thread starter macrumors G3

Huntn

Then $60 must be their in-warranty internal cost... $229? Wow, sounds almost like time to get a new phone, but I'd not want to pay $500 or whatever they go for without the special contract pricing.