My iPhone Burned me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LonginottiFilms, Jul 31, 2008.

  1. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #1
    Okay...

    A few hours ago, I fell asleep on my couch and woke up from extreme pain coming from my pocket...

    I pulled out my iPhone 3G which was extremely hot... i then placed it on the floor, for whatever reason, my phone burned my leg, and after looking back at my phone, you could definitely see melted plastic...


    Has this happened to anyone else?

    What do you think apple will say?



    Pics

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. macrumors 68020

    MICHAELSD

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #2
    I think something's wrong with your iPhone. I think you're eligible for more than an exchange (Apple credit, too probably) if you complain. The phone isn't supposed to burn you...
     
  3. macrumors regular

    jaggunothing

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Bangalore, India
    #3
    Cover indeed seems to have melted! Lucky that you woke up to realize it, before more harm was done to you.

    Just curious, was the phone set to push emails on a regular basis? Or is it a short circuit with phone being pressed inside pocket.

    It is a serious matter and better you report it to Apple and the shop/operator from whom you purchased.
     
  4. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #4
    Did I mention the Dock connector?

    [​IMG]

    And, no, no push emails, and the "Blazing 3G Speed" was disabled too since the lack of 3G in Hot Springs, AR

    Also, I don't think it was because it was pressed, i was laying sideways with the phone side up...

    Idk...
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    #5
    call apple technical support right away 1-800-APL-CARE

    then tell them that your phone burned you, they should transfer you right up to a product specialist/supervisor to handle your case directly. these people also have some leway in terms of reinbursment and various other settlment things, at very least get it examined by your doctor. Get him to write a summary of the burn ASAP so that in case you are required to provide medical evidence for any legal action you certinly can do so.
     
  6. macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #6
    I say you have a lemon. I noticed my iPhone getting warm when playing games, but nothing that would burn me. Mine is an EDGE model, so that may be the difference.

    Sounds like another reason I'm glad I waited for the glitches to get worked out. I would say "burns the legs" is quite a large glitch.
     
  7. macrumors 604

    SFStateStudent

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    Location:
    San Francisco California, USA
    #7
    If you set auto-lock to NEVER then that would explain why it got so hot. Get a new iPhone, then get an Injury Attorney...:(
     
  8. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #8
    I really don't want to form a lawsuit, I just want a replacement, the burn isn't severe, maybe like a sunburn...

    also, auto lock was set to 1 minute, the phone wasn't jailbroken, and yeah,

    it was a wake up "call"...
     
  9. macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #9
    Any ways, that must've...er... hurt
    Seems like the battery's gone kaput!
    <sigh>hope this doesnt become another mainstream iPhone problem like those cracked cases!
     
  10. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    #10
    The damage to the dock tells me you had something else in your pocket, like keys or coins and these have shorted out the connector.
     
  11. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #11
    Also

    Amazingly...

    [​IMG]
     
  12. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #12
    Actually I fell asleep reading those...

    and nope, nothing else in my pocket except a few theme park tickets...
     
  13. macrumors 68020

    MICHAELSD

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #13
    I would turn that off, burning plastic might fall onto you :p... How long have you had it, anyway?
     
  14. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #14
    Well, I got mine that infamous friday... I'm a bit bummed to have it replaced because I got the last 3g in Hot Springs, AR...

    but oh well, i'd rather not blow up
     
  15. macrumors 68020

    MICHAELSD

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2008
    Location:
    NJ
    #15
    It never got this hot before today?
     
  16. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #16
    never, it got a little warm when I was jamming out to the Band app, but never 3G hot! lol
     
  17. macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #17
    DUDE... how can you even look at that thing... its melted:eek:
     
  18. thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    #18
    huh?

    how can I look at my precious iPhone melted? or what?
     
  19. macrumors 68000

    Apple Ink

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2008
    #19
    Forget precious... I hate deformed gadgets.... molten and that to a week old iPhone will sure shot kill me!:p
     
  20. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #20
    As far as I recollect, the first gen iPhones never had so many problems. That's what value engineering does to products. They're cheap and shoddy.
     
  21. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2007
    #21
    First generation iPhones had their share of hardware defects. You can read posts around the internet about people sharing experiences with their phones having dead pixels or the screen suddenly dying.
     
  22. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Devon, UK
    #22
    The same thing happened to a friend of mine here in the uk 3 days ago, his melted to the pocket lining of his coat!

    He marched to the applestore and demanded to see the manager, who after calling some senior apple people, gave him a new phone, an apple tv, time capsule and £50 itunes voucher!

    Take it in and kick up hell, it could be worth it!
     
  23. macrumors 65816

    Pixellated

    Joined:
    Apr 1, 2008
    Location:
    Dartford, UK
    #23
    Well... Have you called Apple?
     
  24. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #24

    Nothing as bad as this though ....
     
  25. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Location:
    West Sussex, England, UK
    #25
    That is extremely dangerous, don't use it again until you go to an apple store with it
     

Share This Page