Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galaxer

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Shlt happens...

I also have experienced the overheating issue with my 8 Gb iPhone 3G. It was yesterday as it happened 2nd time to me. The first one I thought it was an accident because I played with push properties a few minutes before. The device got really damn hot! :eek: I switched it off and than on again after it has reached the room temp. Everything was OK for a week and yesterday it has happened again, just a few minutes after syncronization! :mad:

I am an extremely careful person (especially when it goes about my gadgets :D), so I never subject my iPhone to short circuit or smth like, I always use a leather case to carry it and so on. The device also was not in charging mode both of times, when this shlt happened. :(

Today morning I called Apple Support Germany, they said they would repair or replace it within 10 days. I spent 22 minutes waiting on the phone, it is abot 3 Euro.

I never had such issues with any of my gadgets, and had owened a pretty much of them since 1994. Shame on Apple!

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
I also have experienced the overheating issue with my 8 Gb iPhone 3G. It was yesterday as it happened 2nd time to me. The first one I thought it was an accident because I played with push properties a few minutes before. The device got really damn hot! :eek: I switched it off and than on again after it has reached the room temp. Everything was OK for a week and yesterday it has happened again, just a few minutes after syncronization! :mad:

I am an extremely careful person (especially when it goes about my gadgets :D), so I never subject my iPhone to short circuit or smth like, I always use a leather case to carry it and so on. The device also was not in charging mode both of times, when this shlt happened. :(

Today morning I called Apple Support Germany, they said they would repair or replace it within 10 days. I spent 22 minutes waiting on the phone, it is abot 3 Euro.

I never had such issues with any of my gadgets, and had owened a pretty much of them since 1994. Shame on Apple!

Well, my replacement had dead pixels... then it was replaced again, and this time it is having "disk problems" once again, my replacement is on the way...

Apple sent me a time capsule for free after the burn.

and for all these hassles, i am getting a bluetooth headset for free so hopefully this next phone will be perfect.:mad:

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
My phone gets incredibly hot (for a hand held device) whenever I use location services. So hot in fact, that I usually put it to sleep for fear of something happening. I guess this is what happens if you don't turn it off.

And thus begins another class action... or worse yet, recall...

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
And thus begins another class action...

You took a free Time Capsule? You could have gotten millions of dollars in a lawsuit from something like this... "Melting iPhone burns mans leg - iPhone safety called into question". It's like a legitimate version of that woman who spilled McDonalds coffee on herself, burned herself badly, and then won her case because McDonalds brews their coffee at a higher temp than do other fast food chains.

I think his free things are worth it enough. Why does everyone feel they need to sue big companies? Why don't you go out, get a job and make your own money instead of waiting for the opportunity to slip on pee-pee at a Home Depot and getting a big settlement check?

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I think his free things are worth it enough. Why does everyone feel they need to sue big companies? Why don't you go out, get a job and make your own money instead of waiting for the opportunity to slip on pee-pee at a Home Depot and getting a big settlement check?

I edited my post, because I didn't feel I emphasized what I was trying to emphasize. Let me rephrase:

I'm not going to go into graphic detail here, but suffice it to say some real damage could be done to some critical areas. Besides, this might actually reveal a major design flaw... and if there is a risk of melting phones, then Apple needs to do something about it. Often times "big companies" won't do anything unless they're adequately encouraged to do something.

Besides, there's a big difference between purposefully falling on something (look where you're going) and having a phone melt in your pocket (are you not supposed to keep your phone in your pocket?).

Mac Sux

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2008
obviously it's not widespread at all, how much people do you see getting burns from their iphones?
**** happens, props to the OP for not being an american cowboy and hopping right to a lawsuit

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
People, People!

I didn't sue Apple, So what!

I knew I could, and I knew there WAS something very wrong.

I emailed ol' Stevey about my issue and he acknowledged it.

I may have not gotten millions but I'm still happy, they seized the phone and broke it down to see exactly what went wrong. Do you think that 2.1 software update's "Better Battery Life" was just an enhancement? no, it was a fix!

The main reason I didn't sue Apple was because, Later on in life after college, I would love to work for them in the design category. It's one of my life goals...

So any legal stuff was put aside...

Now they owe me :D

P.S. a First degree burn wouldn't have gotten much in a lawsuit anyway

-James P. Longinotti

heya

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
well, now that you got your phone back...you should look forward to your future career ;)

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
obviously it's not widespread at all, how much people do you see getting burns from their iphones?
**** happens, props to the OP for not being an american cowboy and hopping right to a lawsuit

Technically I'm a High-Tech Redneck :p

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Haha ok I give up, you're probably right. Overreaction on my part. I just hope no one gets seriously burned, and I hope that if there is a design flaw of some sorts, that it gets taken care of properly, and not swept under the rug!

LonginottiFilms

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Haha ok I give up, you're probably right. Overreaction on my part. I just hope no one gets seriously burned, and I hope that if there is a design flaw of some sorts, that it gets taken care of properly, and not swept under the rug!

Apple won't sweep it under the rug if it is an extreme problem...

http://www.apple.com/support/usbadapter/exchangeprogram/?sr=hotnews

"Customer safety is always Apple's top priority, and therefore we have voluntarily decided to exchange every ultracompact power adapter for a new, redesigned adapter, free of charge. "

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
maybe you uncovered the secret chocolate smores app. Which you can roast marshmellows with your iphone.

I can see it now.

*blazing fast speed
*ipod music player
*Can roast marshmellows

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I think it may have something to do with the face that he shaves his legs?!?! :eek:

If you read the thread you'd know that he photographed his leg, realized from the photo his legs were too hairy to photograph the burn, then shaved his leg to better photograph the burn.
Please don't bring back dead threads, especially if it's only to increase your post count.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
The phone uses a Lithium Polymer battery. Symptoms of LI-POLY overcharge are "bulging" and a very hot explosion. These types of cells are used R/C Helicopters and airplances and are quite dangerous IF NOT PROPERLY CHARGED OR IF SHORTED.

Here is one example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpUXuEg3fNE

Just do a Google search for LIPO EXPLOSION.

As an RC enthusiast, please don't post videos of people internally over volting Li-Po's (especially hooking one to direct 120v AC) to prove that they explode. This is far outside what any battery can handle and isn't limited to Li-Po's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.