My Iphone Charger Burnt Me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Boneclinks, Aug 10, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

I didnt know who to tell after this happened and i had seen an earlier post about somone being burnt by their iphone 3G, so i thought this would be a good place to tell my story. So, I woke up this morning and was walking around with my shoes off, when i stepped on somthing hot and burnt my foot. I looked down and saw a warped and charred iphone 3G charger that i had recently got with the phone. I called Apple and they said they could get me into a local apple store to replace the burnt charger, but when i went the guys there had no idea what i was talking about and told me that i would need an appointment to talk to anyone. I then just asked to buy a new one because i didnt wanna wait around all day, and somone else working there saw the burnt charger i was carying and replaced mine for a new one. My foot has a nasty blister on it from stepping on that charger tho. Kinda sucks my floor got burnt a bit too. I wonder why this happnd...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

what shud i do?

2. macrumors 6502a

NotFound

File a lawsuit? :eek:

3. macrumors member

I'd like to represent you as your personal consultant during the trial/settlement talks for a small fee out of the millions you will soon be earning

4. macrumors member

just curious, how does a charger end up on the floor, burning? Is that where it always is? Sorta like your charging spot that you accidently stept on? Lucky your iPhone wasn't connected. I'll be sure to unplug after use now.

5. macrumors regular

1) Get off the drugs
    2) Try to walk back through time to figure out why the charger was on the floor. Perhaps a scuffle during an alien abduction?
    3) Do some research at the !!!DC!!! voltage levels present at that end of the cord. If no load was present, why would a burn occur even if AC voltage was present. Once again, we are back to the alien abduction you are avoiding to discuss.:eek:

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea thats where i keep it plugged in to the socket on the floor

7. macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Wow.... first the iPhone... now the cable! Seems like Apple's quality control is really faltering!

8. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F108 Safari/525.20)

but the thing you have shown pics of is the bit that plugs into the phone. Was the actual charger itself burned and melted?
    I'm confused as to how a cable that's not plugged into anything could just melt - we could do with a bit more info

9. macrumors regular

Oh, that's it....right....blame apple. Take the word of this loser with an alien abduction story and fuzzy pictures that are focused on the corona bottle cap on the floor. Sure, don't consider that the charger was on the floor because....uh....because of that is a legitimate place for it to be after getting back from a night of anal probing and crack smoking!:eek:

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

wow ur a weird doode bro lol... for some more info it wasnt plugged into the phone it was just lying on the floor. When i took it out of the wall the box charger thing that the usb plugs into was very very hot when i pulled it out of the wall. This is all info i have i dont kno why this happened or how

11. macrumors regular

All right, I'll stop with the teasing. But...if you didn't get the DC converter part exchanged...it makes no sense that just the cable could cause your problem. It's an AC/DC thing bro.

12. macrumors member

LOL am I missing something here?

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

are u talking about the wall socket? cuz i got the cable and the thing the cable plugs into replaced

14. macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Weird...... and I considered myself an Apple fan! Seems like some people are blinded by the fandom!

15. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like the OP was lucky his house didn't burn down...:eek:

16. macrumors regular

Dude, being blinding by fandom has nothing to do with it. One guy says he had a charger problem and you want to blame Apple QC? Give me a break. Somebody bitches and one guy says "file a lawsuit" and you say Apple has a quality control problem.

The story didn't add up. Neither do the pictures.

17. macrumors regular

Yes, the wall socket part. That is the important part to get replaced. Not sure how this could have happened, but whatever happened..its good you got it all replaced. Sorry for screwing with you earlier, I was just teasing...but I forget how often people miss the point of humor....

18. macrumors 6502a

Sounds/looks fishy to me. I don't believe it. All 4 posts by this person were made in this thread.

19. macrumors 603

marksman

To be fair, the cable had no hairs on it, and was not cracked.

20. thread starter macrumors newbie

lol... its a burnt charger how does it not add up?

21. macrumors regular

Look. I'll make the assumption that the charger and cable worked at least once. That would indicate it shipped in good condition. Next, to say that the "burn" happened with no iphone/ipod plugged in makes your story hard to believe. Under no-load condition, how would a previously good charger and cable burn up? It doesn't jive. Even if it did happen, why are you posting four pictures of the thing with your story of how you already got a free replacement but are asking for advice on what you should do? What do you think you should do?

22. macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Sorry! Didnt check that!

Please disregard all my previous posts if this is false!
    But obviously this doesnt mean Apple's faultless! All the recent body cracks do add up to something!

23. macrumors 6502

Umm, did you miss the part where he said he thought this would be a good place to share his story? A lot of people here lurk a lot before they start posting...as was my case, anyways.

OP, if what you say is true, then you're extremely lucky a blister on your foot was the extent of the damage...who knows what else coulda been charred overnight.

Oh and i notice a box of Pacifico on the upper left-hand side of the pic...excellent choice, though the Corona bottlecap on the floor makes me wanna yak :D

24. macrumors 6502a

Umm, yes, I did see it. Doesn't change my opinion.

25. thread starter macrumors newbie

OK well doode even tho you dont think it could happen it DID happen and im trying to tell you guys this. If you dont want to beleive me then **** it i really dont care but if apple dosnt do anything about this it could happen to u and if i slept in longer maybe serious damage would have been done. U woulda had to beleive it if my house had burnt down lol. The reason i posted on this site was because i saw the other thing about iphone 3g melting on digg jeez.