Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlawson09

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
We could go around and around with this, however, you are simply overlooking what happened by getting caught up in the what if's. The fact is, the cable faulted. Faulted meaning it did something other then what it was intended to do. Lent, fuzz, hair, fair dust, etc - it should not have been able to produce such heat to cause my carpet to burn and melt the plastic housing around the connector. That's some excessive heat.

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
I love how some people will make up ridiculous claims to back up apple. Last time i checked carpet was a rather poor conductor of electricity, much like hair, lint, fuzz, and moth other fiber-like materials. Unless people have metal shavings littering their carpets i highly doubt that leaving your charger on the floor would melt it.

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
OK well doode even tho you dont think it could happen it DID happen and im trying to tell you guys this. If you dont want to beleive me then **** it i really dont care but if apple dosnt do anything about this it could happen to u and if i slept in longer maybe serious damage would have been done. U woulda had to beleive it if my house had burnt down lol. The reason i posted on this site was because i saw the other thing about iphone 3g melting on digg jeez.

i belive you, just get a lawyer lol.

carotene

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2008
Looks like a resistive connection. A surge protector does nothing to prevent this. This would be caused by a failed component or short. No worries. Probably not a design flaw. I see this from time to time in my industry (power electronics). Possible culprits:
- solder balls from the manufacturing process
- mechanical stress (aka stepping on the connector)
- misc debris

Resistive connections are near impossible to protect against because current does not exceed normal limits. A large amount of power (watts) is dissipated in a very small area. Watts/area is high and burns surrounding material. In this case the plastic casing. This is not an issue exclusive to Apple's electronics (just to appease all the whiny apple fanboys)

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
A cord that is plugged to a power source and loose on the other end is a BAD thing. A spilled drink could've done that. A rat could've licked it. A dog could've peed on it. A baby could've put it in his/her mouth. Something metal could've come into contact with it.

I'd say this isn't a fault of the part, but a fault of the user for not ensuring that the part is unplugged when not in use.

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
A cord that is plugged to a power source and loose on the other end is a BAD thing. A spilled drink could've done that. A rat could've licked it. A dog could've peed on it. A baby could've put it in his/her mouth. Something metal could've come into contact with it.

I'd say this isn't a fault of the part, but a fault of the user for not ensuring that the part is unplugged when not in use.

I am sure most users like to keep their cable plugged in when the iPhone is not charging, and Apple has to keep that in mind. Most times nothing will happen, but if it suddenly burns from whatever reason (hair, lint, etc) then it is the parts fault. Apple has to make it work and safe under normal, every day conditions. It is really amazing how Apple can do no wrong in some of your eyes.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I am sure most users like to keep their cable plugged in when the iPhone is not charging, and Apple has to keep that in mind. Most times nothing will happen, but if it suddenly burns from whatever reason (hair, lint, etc) then it is the parts fault. Apple has to make it work and safe under normal, every day conditions. It is really amazing how Apple can do no wrong in some of your eyes.

That's kind of like saying Conair is responsible if someone takes a bath with their hair dryer... Its just silly. You can't sue Ford if someone runs you over with an Fusion. Companies aren't responsible for misuse of their products.

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Leaving a charger plugged in is not misuse, but it it completely normal use, as I am sure a like percentage does. It is not the same as if they spilled beer on it. It was just plugged in, and I would consider that normal use.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Leaving a charger plugged in is not misuse, but it it completely normal use, as I am sure a like percentage does. It is not the same as if they spilled beer on it. It was just plugged in, and I would consider that normal use.

Well, call me a Negative Nancy, but empty beer box on the floor + beer caps on the floor... You see where I'm going with this?

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
While someone is "allowed" to do whatever they want with a product, don't be surprised if something goes wrong.

In this case, leaving a plugged in adapter on the floor to get stepped on (are you for real?) is begging for problems. Like a poster above me said - dogs, babies, spilled drink, dropped paperclip, anything could start a bad chain reaction. Better safe than sorry, no?

Well ... I'm off to use my toaster to make some toast while I'm taking a bath! Making toast is "normal use" after all!

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
So you users all unplug your charger from the socket when your not charging your iphone on it?

If i may, so in essence you should unplug your iHome from the socket everytime your phone or iPod is not plugged into it? GIVE ME A BREAK!! The connection on the iHome and the connection on your iPhone charger are exactly the same. They are the standard Apple iPod connection. IT IS NOT necessary AT ALL to unplug your charger from the wall every time your done using it.

You had a defect, I personally wouldn't be one to file a law-suit. However, if you feel that its justified go ahead. You are not at fault for this one.

P.S. Corona's are my beer of choice as well

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Well, call me a Negative Nancy, but empty beer box on the floor + beer caps on the floor... You see where I'm going with this?

Well while I agree with you that those conditions are not the optimal, the people with the problem never stated that the adapter got wet, or something. Could it happen the same in my case where I just leave the charger hooked to the iPhone 3g dock when I don't have the iPhone charging??? I don't know, but if it happened, it wouldn't certainly be my fault, since that is the normal use I would expect for this. The only reason I bought the dock was to have a charging place, available whenever I want to give my phone a quick charge.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
So you users all unplug your charger from the socket when your not charging your iphone on it?

If i may, so in essence you should unplug your iHome from the socket everytime your phone or iPod is not plugged into it? GIVE ME A BREAK!! The connection on the iHome and the connection on your iPhone charger are exactly the same. They are the standard Apple iPod connection. IT IS NOT necessary AT ALL to unplug your charger from the wall every time your done using it.

I leave my cables plugged in 24/7. I don't, however, leave plugged-in electrical cables laying around on the floor to get stepped on.

I'm not saying his cable wasn't defective (not saying it was, either), but I'm pretty sure leaving it on the floor and stepping on it while it's plugged into a socket isn't a best practice.

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Well while I agree with you that those conditions are not the optimal, the people with the problem never stated that the adapter got wet, or something. Could it happen the same in my case where I just leave the charger hooked to the iPhone 3g dock when I don't have the iPhone charging??? I don't know, but if it happened, it wouldn't certainly be my fault, since that is the normal use I would expect for this. The only reason I bought the dock was to have a charging place, available whenever I want to give my phone a quick charge.

Now we're comparing apples and oranges...

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Why apples to oranges??? Techically, it would be the same to leave the adapter plugged to the iPhone dock that leaving it unplugged if there is no iPhone in the dock, isn't it?

That's not what we're talking about.

We're talking about leaving a plugged in electrical cable on the floor, mixed in with debris and getting stepped on and who knows what else.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
I'd say your entitled to a cash settlement.

The very fact that they replaced the unit is an admission of wrong doing.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
That's not what we're talking about.

We're talking about leaving a plugged in electrical cable on the floor, mixed in with debris and getting stepped on and who knows what else.

Why are you guys trying to paint the OP like he's incompetent for keeping his charger on the floor? I mean... are you guys serious? Are you actually serious?

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast

NOT!

Plugs just don't spontaneously burn or combust. If there's power on one end, and nothing on the other, guess what...it shoudln't be plugged into any type of power outlet. It has nothing to do with Apple loyalty...its freaking common sense.

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Well while I agree with you that those conditions are not the optimal, the people with the problem never stated that the adapter got wet, or something.

Of course not. I've lost count of the number of times someone here has stated that they had an issue with their macbook and took it in only for the Genius to tell them that they've spilled something onto their computer...there are other stories of people here breaking their equipment and then coming to the forums to be told to lie to a Genius to get a free fix. There are also posts of people flatout saying they've broken their equipment and are going to flatout lie to attempt to get a freebie fix. How else do you expect people to react to a post where something supposedly 'burned on its own'. If it had burned at a juncture or break or bend of the cord, I'd be less of a skeptic about this, but its at the freakin' connector.

I once had a few AA batteries in a fanny pack that I kept as spares for a flashlight (for jogging). The day after I put a fresh set in the pack, they were dead. The batteries weren't the only thing in the pack, though...there were coins and a metal pen. The contact of metal on the batteries most likely drained the batteries. That's one example. Another is, have you ever put your tongue on a 9-volt battery? It zaps. Imagine something wet (carpet or beer or whateverTF) against a loose cord plugged into an outlet. I'm betting it'll zap too, and burn maybe...

Sorry, the pics and story just don't add up.

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
NOT!

Plugs just don't spontaneously burn or combust. If there's power on one end, and nothing on the other, guess what...it shoudln't be plugged into any type of power outlet. It has nothing to do with Apple loyalty...its freaking common sense.

I disagree. I have a nightstand by my bed, and on that nightstand is my iPhone dock. The dock is plugged in at all times, and I put my iPhone in the dock every night when I go to bed.

I think this would be considered "normal use."

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Why are you guys trying to paint the OP like he's incompetent for keeping his charger on the floor? I mean... are you guys serious? Are you actually serious?

I for one never said he was incompetent. Accidents happen. The thing to realize is that this is just an accident...

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
I disagree. I have a nightstand by my bed, and on that nightstand is my iPhone dock. The dock is plugged in at all times, and I put my iPhone in the dock every night when I go to bed.

I think this would be considered "normal use."

Can you show where the OP said, 'dock'? The OP didn't have a dock.

We're not talking docks. We're talking plugs. There's a HUGE difference, and, your dock is on a nightstand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.