Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
So i just got a black 16gb iPhone 3g. I sent a text to my Dad (AT&T), and Mom (T-Mobile), who both got it immediately. However, they both texted me back and i only got the one from my dad. I also asked my other friends to send me a text (they are on T-Mobile, and Verizon) and they did, but I never got it. Is there some setting i have to adjust, or some way i can fix this?

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
So i just got a black 16gb iPhone 3g. I sent a text to my Dad (AT&T), and Mom (T-Mobile), who both got it immediately. However, they both texted me back and i only got the one from my dad. I also asked my other friends to send me a text (they are on T-Mobile, and Verizon) and they did, but I never got it. Is there some setting i have to adjust, or some way i can fix this?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no setting for this. Call At&T.
:confused:

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok, i just got a text from my girlfriend now (verizon) but i can't tell if she sent it 3 hours ago, or 5 min ago. It's all very confusing.

nyfinest32

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
my girlfriend had this same prob with the first gen iphone. she took it to the apple genius and he just restored the phone and it fixed the problem. he said it may be a bad sim card.

chrismac00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
My friends send me texts (from Verizon) and I even saw it on her phone when she sent it yesterday and it hasn't appeared on my phone.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
did you port your number over? If you did, thats probably the issue. My boyfriend and I both ported our numbers from verizon and had problems getting texts from anyone outside of att. The 3rd party that handles all text messages somehow doesn't get notified that you switched carriers and so they continue to forward your texts to the old carrier who just loses the messages because they no longer have your number to send them too. We just went into the att store and told them about it and they knew exactly what it was. They called tech support and they had it working the next morning.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
My friend has the same problem with his iPhone, only its not that he doesn't just get texts from other carriers, he also doesn't get texts from my iPhone. Moreover, his responses often don't make it to anyone else's phones. The only solution we've figured out is he has to delete the SMS conversation he's been having with someone almost daily, and that seems to fix the problem. Once he clears and deletes the physical SMS conversation with any phone number, and then starts a new conversation and sends a message, that message is instantly received. I have no idea why this happens, and I think he ought to return his phone and get a new one - perhaps you should do the same.

Edit: thinking about it (based on the post above) he did actually get his number ported over... so that might be the root cause of all of his issues.

Nckcard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
My friend has the same problem with his iPhone, only its not that he doesn't just get texts from other carriers, he also doesn't get texts from my iPhone. Moreover, his responses often don't make it to anyone else's phones. The only solution we've figured out is he has to delete the SMS conversation he's been having with someone almost daily, and that seems to fix the problem. Once he clears and deletes the physical SMS conversation with any phone number, and then starts a new conversation and sends a message, that message is instantly received. I have no idea why this happens, and I think he ought to return his phone and get a new one - perhaps you should do the same.

Edit: thinking about it (based on the post above) he did actually get his number ported over... so that might be the root cause of all of his issues.

I'm going to call again once my dad gets home, and they have people there to talk to. Texts from my girlfriend seem to be getting more normal-paced then before, but I'm not sure.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I used to have this problem on a regular phone. It's not the iPhone. My friends who had other services had to call their providers. Then it worked. Still call AT&T though. It's something on their end. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile. They all need to be contacted.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I've been having this problem as well. For me I've only had problems receiving texts from someone on Verizon (at least as far as I know) but it's very annoying to say the least.

Negais

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2008
Call AT&T and ask to speak with AT&T Tech Support.

Tell Tech Support to check your LRN (Location Routing Number) and the MetCalf database.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
i'm having this problem too. I have an unlocked iPhone on t-mobile, and can only receive texts from other t-mobile customers.

what can we do?

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
anybody find a solution? I was on the phone to t-mobile for AN HOUR today and it's still not fixed. i get messages from people ON t-mobile, just nobody else. he said he reset everything (LRN etc.) and triple checked the settings.

M

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
anybody find a solution? I was on the phone to t-mobile for AN HOUR today and it's still not fixed. i get messages from people ON t-mobile, just nobody else. he said he reset everything (LRN etc.) and triple checked the settings.

M

I just spent some time on the phone with AT&T tech support and they said that Location Routing Number is only used for voicemail and they had no clue what a metcalf database was (neither do I:confused:).

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Just tried my sim card in another phone - a nokia that was unlocked - and still no texts. i sent one to it from a friend's ATT phone. so it's DEFINITELY a network issue, not an iPhone one. ugh what are we going to do? i spent an hour on the phone to t-mobile to no avail...

ridestrt

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
I had the same problem right when I got my phone. Ten minutes on the phone with at&t and it was fixed.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I had this same problem on a regular Verizon phone. AT&T customers would send me messages and I wouldn't get them for up to 8 hours later. Frustrating when you get a text message at 3am!

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
I have twice now received text messages from fellow AT&T customers that were delayed by over a day. My sent me one this past Saturday night that I did not receive until Monday. Last weekend my friend sent one on Saturday that didn't get to me until Sunday.

EDIT - one of the messages was before I ported over my old Verizon number (was using a temporary AT&T number until my contract with Verizon ended last week) and the other was after the port.

Blaunerts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
Miami
When I first got my iPhone, that happened to me, call at&t and ask for technical support. Its a pain in the ass, and took me like 24-36 hours. :mad:

Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.