My iPhone will not rotate into landscape!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by karleaglemac, Dec 26, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Whenever I am on the web or looking at pictures and turn my phone it doesn't rotate to landscape. I've tried a reset and restart and still no change. Any ideas or suggestions before I make the trip to the Apple Store?

Please help if you can, and thanks in advance!

2. macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Try and reset it one more time. Make sure you are holding the phone at an angle where it can recognize the tilt/rotation. I doubt reseting it again will fix anything because it sounds like a faulty accelerometer. Sadly a trip to the Apple store for a replacement is the only way to fix it.

3. macrumors 6502

Did this problem start after doing something software related, ie. installing a new app, upgrading firmware, syncing? I'm assuming you are using the latest firmware. You could also try a restore, but I'd be afraid of it fixing the problem only long enough for the warranty to expire.

4. macrumors 6502

Since when have you been experiencing this problem?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

My wife and I just got our iPhones on the 24th. As far as I remember it has been like this straight out of the box. I was wondering if there was a setting that I need to adjust or something. It seems like a faulty accelerometer.
    Is this a common problem?

6. Guest

no,it is not a common problem.
    Is your wife's doing it as well? Try the calculator App and give it a second. Hold it perpendicularly while switching.

7. macrumors 6502

Hi karleaglemac
    If problem from the start, I would have the phone exchanged under warranty ASAP.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

karleaglemac

Well I'm afraid there must be something wrong with the accelerometer. Good thinking on the calculator test. It still stayed portrait when I turned it. I'm just baffled because I have never heard of this specific problem before.
    If I just bought this iPhone four days ago I shouldn't have a problem exchanging it or getting it fixed when I go to the Apple Store tomorrow, should I?