My Ipod got stolen someone tell me wat to do to get it back

Discussion in 'iPod' started by posthardcore, Jun 13, 2006.

1. posthardcore macrumors newbie

Ok every day i bring my ipod to school and when i have gym class i always change put my pants in my bag and put the bag in my locker, so anyway when i came back into the locker room and put on my pants the ipod was miss, and so where alot of other kids stuff and cash, so anyway i will and have done everything so far in my power to get it back, but i still dont have it . this ipod meant the world to me and my whole life is on that ipod, and i need it back. What else should i do , so far only things ive done was file a police report inform the school and tell all my friends to keep an eye open.

this ipod was a 4th generation ipod so it is infact pretty old and it is white,
    thank you so much to anyone who rights in suggestions if i find my ipod u are my new best friends ever.
    mikey

2. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I hate to tell you this... but don't expect it back. There was the occasional theft at my High School and the only thing the kids did were alert the authorities (i.e. principal/dean/police)

Good luck

3. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

I feel real bad for you dude, but there's like a 99% chance you won't be getting it back.

In the future, be VERY careful with expensive things.

4. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I had my original 1st Gen iPod stolen last December out of a friends car. My friend filed a police report though I'm not expecting to see it again.

Though this sort of thing has been happening a lot at my university so the campus police have begun using the thing called DataDots because they'd pull over people with 20-30 iPods in their trunk though there is no way to prove they were stolen because the person cleared the hard drives.

You'll probably not see yours again though maybe this will help with holding on to your next iPod longer.

5. posthardcore thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

im really not excpecting to see it again but every possible solution to even a little chance of getting it back i figure is worth a try. is there something online the serial number could do or something???

please more salutions.
    thanks again
    mikey

6. MacFan25863 macrumors 6502a

MacFan25863

nope, the iPod doesn't connect to the internet.

Does your school have video cameras? I know mine does at the entrance to the locker rooms.

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

8. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Did you put the serial number in the police report so if they come across an iPod they might be able to match it to yours.

9. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

i know how you feel man. the same thing happened to me when i was in high school actually a good 4 years ago now. i had a 2nd gen ipod at the time.
    someone broke into my locker, stole all of my money, my ipod, any anything else they could get their hands on.
    i filed a report as you did. and the school basically told me " sorry, but we really cant do anything. be more careful next time"
    so trust me. i know how upsetting it is. I had mine on insurance though, and i had one of those best buy warranties, and they actually replaced it for me. i think i just got lucky.

good luck in your search, i really hope you can either get it back or have it replaced.

10. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Good luck, but unfortunately the other replies are right. Your chances of seeing the iPod again are slim to none.

Similar thing happened to me last summer. I left mine sitting in a locked, secure area at work where very few people have authorized access. I was gone 20 minutes, and the iPod was gone when I can back. I filed a report with the head of security and they didn't care.

The thief returned 2 weeks later and stole a government-owned hard drive out of our running Power Mac G5. Security still didn't care. We narrowed down the time of theft to the exact minute because the G5 had been processing data overnight. They could have narrowed it to a dozen suspects or less based on that, but they were too lazy. Even with government property!!

I know how you feel. I felt violated because I had a few photos on it, and essentially my entire musical identity was on that device. The fact that someone else could be going through that stuff was creepy.

For now, I'm getting by with a 1 GB shuffle that I keep in my pocket at all times, no exceptions. If I'm going to be in a situation where it can't be on my person, I leave it at home.

If/when I get a new regular iPod, I'm having it engraved with something like "Stolen from (my email address)". At least then if they sell it, maybe the buyer will notice and try to contact me. Even that's a long shot - I figure many people will just look the other way.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Something tells me the school could get in trouble for having video cameras in the locker room.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

the way he said it, it sounded to me that it was outside the locker room, watching/recording people going in and out.

13. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I'm afraid I don't feel all that bad for you. High school is the wrong place to bring expensive electronics and if you do this, you know there's a big risk.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, maybe his isn't pointed into the locker room, but in posthardcore's case, the one way it would be effective would be if it was pointed in the direction of the lockers (where the crime happened).

15. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

Find out if your parents' homeowners insurance policy covers electronics theft off premises. Some do.

16. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

my parents' did, thats why it would have been covered, but best buy hooked me up :)

17. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

What a ridiculous thing to write. The iPod is clearly a youth-centric portable product. Are you honestly saying that it shouldn't be carried to and from the one place most young people go? I hardly see that as any reason to feel less sorry for 'Posthardcore'.

18. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Check ebay. Look for someone in your home town or near it. If you live in a big city, it may be harder to ID. If you think you've spotted it, ask if you might be able to check it out before you buy from the seller, but only if you're pretty sure, and get an address. Google it, find the name its under, and see if the last name rings any bells from school. Also, check resale shops and pawn shops like a previous posted said.

Look for suspicious behavior for people with iPods when they see you, such as avoiding eye contact and other body language. Thats a bit of a long shot, because its assuming they knew who they were stealing from, and then would use it at school rather than keep it away from school or just sell it outright.

19. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

20. (*Nathan*) macrumors newbie

hey man i know exactlyyyy how you feel, in fact it was while i was in gym too it happend today it ****ing sucks because you cant even do much about it, and mine was the 5th gen...i do have the best buy warentee though, do you think the would cover it??

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

22. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I bring my 5G iPod, my macbook, my 250GB External HD, my camera and all my other cables etc to school, so if it gets stolen, I can just claim from insurance, and get new everything!:D But nothing of mine has got stolen yet, even if i leave it unattended, like once I left my iPod on a windowsill, and I thought it had been stolen. But 3 days later, I was walking past and it was still there, nobody had touched it:) Probably because my school has cameras almost everywhere.

23. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

No, warrantee and insurance are two different things.

24. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Funnily enough, I got a replacement from my insurance company recently, but because they supply the replacement, I couldn't get the new iPod engraved with my name and postcode, as had been the case with my original.

They also charged me well above retail to pay the difference between a 30 Gig and 60 Gig model, on top of the excess fee. This I don't understand.

25. AAHH macrumors newbie

Sorry man -

Something to think about is marking your assets - without using your name or any other personal info.

DataDots are good. They are somewhat covert and meant to be applied in profusion. They are an affordable theft deterrent. The extra DataDots in a Kit can be applied to other assets - bike, musical instruments, other peripheral equipment, etc. I use them. Applying and registering is really easy. They are available at DHI.

You also might want to check out Smart-i-Tags. They are more overt. They are tags and stickers that you can attach to your assets. They allow the finder of a lost or stolen asset to find you directly without you divulging any personal information. I use these too - on my keys, backpack and pets! They are available at Smart-i-Tags. I used Promo Code 33762 and got 10% off. Might still work.

LoJack and GPS type stuff is good because they are an active theft deterrent - instead of passive. But they only work when an internet connection/cell signal/GPS signal is available and they are co$tly.

You need to weigh your perceived exposure to stolen or lost items and how much you are willing to spend to protect yourself.

Hope this helps.