My iPod got Stolen...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by thadchr, Nov 16, 2005.

1. thadchr macrumors member

thadchr

My 3rd Gen iPod got stolen at school and I have 2 important questions:

1) Is there any type of insurance that might cover this? I'm sure apple doesn't have any such policy, but does anyone know anything about general insurance on theft?

2) Because my iPod was a 3rd Gen, I recieved the letter regarding the battery life claim. I opted to get the battery replaced, but obviously now I'd rather take the $50 gift card. Is there any way I can contact Apple to change this so I don't lose out on another $50?

2. john159 macrumors regular

no there is not insurance policy... and since you already opted for the battery you might want to call them and tellt hem you would liek the 50$ but dont tell them you lost your ipod becuase that would be stupid... it wouldnt help get youthe 50$

3. davefan6435 macrumors regular

There's a possibility your ipod might be covered in your insurance policy so you should check that out. Sorry to hear about your ipod being stolen that sucks.

4. Scruge macrumors member

yeah that sucks pretty bad at my school i hear ipods are stolen everyday

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you live in the US, it's probably not worth it to put a stolen iPod as a single claim on the homeowner's policy.

They are looking for "any" reason to deny renewal of the policies and bump you into the high risk pools.

They have to renew you if you don't have any claims and pay on time, but if you live in a high risk area -- claims are the only way for them to legally refuse renewal.

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Sorry to hear about the iPod.

My suggestion would be to have it put under your home insurence or something and then give it a while then call it in. This way it would be "covered." Kinda dishonest but...you pay insurence for a reason.

When i went to japan i had a Digital Camera, my iPod and a few other things put on the insurence and it was great not having to worry about it being stolen or lost. Actually i am kinda wishing someone would steal my 4G iPod so i can get a new 5G.:eek:

7. john159 macrumors regular

were you part of a lawsuit or how did you get the choice to get 50$ or bat replacemnt?!?!?

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Amen, any two claims over a two or three year period "can" lead to cancelation of the policy. Not to mention that many policies have a $100 to $500 deductible. Add to that your claim may be reduced like by 25% if that item was not on the rider specifically.

9. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

If you dont mind me asking, how did you get your ipod stolen?

10. lolex macrumors member

lolex

Sorry to hear your ipod have been stolen.

As far as I know, some credit cards would offer a insurance for stolen within a certain period.

whichever purchase you're doing with this card was stolen, you'd claims compensation from the insurance firm which you need to present with an acknowledgement from the local police office .

If lucky you the ipod was paid by credit card, go check it with the customer service. :)

P.s Have you personalized your ipod? If yes, you still have a chance to get it back from whichever reasons.

11. hookahco macrumors regular

12. bepster macrumors member

I actually did that with a very, very expensive belt!
    It is one of a kind and was manufactored for the New York Fashion week in 2001 by Dolche & Gabbana...

I got it from a friend of mine who was working as a sylist, a model gave it to him!

when I got it back, I send the police to his house and the guy got really busted... they found a lot of stuff there!!

how stupid do you have to be, to tell people your adress??
    :confused:

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Good to hear on your success.

I had camera gear stolen in the week of 9-11-01. A customer came in to one of our stores with a gadget bag that was stolen (it had keyrings from SF and LV still attached). The DC police could not care less. I was asked if I was I the process of settling my claim with my insurance. I said I was. I was told by them not to worry then. I would either get paid by insurance company, or they would "recover" the goods.

Never mind that my gadget bag showed up just a week after the theft. And that pawnshops (where this couple got the bag from) are required to hold items for 2 or 3 weeks after they get the item.

Another example of the police not caring. My ex made of with my charge card after our split. Charged about $2500 in a month and half or so. I was asked to report it to Fairfax County by the credit card company. Guess what, they will only accept reports of "familiar" credit card fraud from the credit card company!

At the time of the report, there was a great chance of catching them. But by the time everything went through the "channels"; they had dropped out of sight and could not be found!

So little wonder we pay so much in the end for everything.

14. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Maybe Apple and other companies should start incorperating stun gun devices into their electronics. How funny would it be to have you ipod stolen by a theif and then seconds later watch as he falls on the floor having convulsions.
    Maybe it will be in the ipod 6G

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

A simpler approach may be "expanding" DRM from Apple. Since iTunes seems to needed for iPod use; they could begin to track the serial numbers of iPods. Heck, charge $5 and "force" one to register for iTunes in order to help police track the "recipients" of stolen iPods.

16. hookahco macrumors regular

if you have any more of that designer stuff that you wanna sell send me a pm.
    now to get back to ipods.. Id pay $5 to have my iPods serial number tracked.

17. generik macrumors 601

generik

I actually had that same idea too.

Remember the case of that boy who got killed because his attacker wanted to rob him of his iPod? I was really hoping that Steve could just sneak some spyware into iTunes to arrest that heartless SOB.

18. lolex macrumors member

lolex

Smart Idea, then you ipod is traceable when stolen, at least you got a way to
    disable the theif to use it.:eek:

19. drater macrumors 6502a

drater

man that has to suck having your ipod stolen, at least think of it as a chance to go get a new one...try to look at the upside.

20. mckvakk macrumors regular

My shuffle got stolen on monday. Got me a bit pissed of at the moment since my only headphones with some quality got stolen with it. But, it gave me an excuse to buy a new iPod nano :rolleyes:
    Have to get the headphones replaced soon too

21. hybrid.09 macrumors newbie

hybrid.09

Aww man that sucks to hear, I got my Apple iPod Video 60GB Black stolen on Wed., I have yet to found the theif, but hope someone will find him. It was stolen at school when some asshat went into my changeroom locker (which was locked) and went through my bag and took my iPod, Visa won't do anything because it's already been 30 days and I just got $225 back from Apple so I'm going to call them on Friday and tell them that it was stolen so If the asshat tries to register it, it will not work. Don't you just wish the iPod had GPS in it? Hehe

R.i.p. iPod Video 60gb | october 26, 2005 - november 16, 2005

22. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

I feel really bad an all but I have had an iPod for 2 years and I have never had a problem with theft.

I hear that things are stolen all the time in out school's locker room (which you are required to use for GYM so I don't know how the school is avoiding lawsuits). I live in a rich area so I wouldn't expect this from kids here but then again... teens will be teens.

I am curious to hear how yours was stolen. Like I said I carry, mine around a lot... in fact, I carry my powerbook to school everyday too. I have never been stolen from as far as either devices go.

23. thadchr thread starter macrumors member

thadchr

Yes, mine was also stolen in the locker room during gym class.

Since someone asked, I recieved the Apple claim because it was given to anyone who purchased a 3G iPod during a certain period of time, as they all had battery failure problems.

I'm going today to report the iPod to the police, but in a 2000 person school with enormous amounts of theft, I'd say I have about a 1% chance of getting it back that way.

24. thadchr thread starter macrumors member

thadchr

So I finally get around to calling Apple today in hopes of switching my replacement battery for a $50 gift card under the Ipod claims case...

After waiting on hold for 10 minutes, I speak to a seemingly uninformed young woman who tells me that Apple is not aloud to discuss the iPod claims settlement...at all! I'm not sure about the legal details of such a matter, but my request was so simple: I just wanted to know that if the claim was approved after appeal, could I change my request for which compensatory item/service I receive.

In conclusion, I'm just all around dissapointed with Apple. First, their iPod unnaturally breaks. Then, after being sued, they offer to provide minor compensations, but even these do very little good... what good is a battery replacement going to be in one year when the appeal is finally over and the 12G iPod is out?!? Finally, the uninformed and impolite customer service woman can't shed even a bit of light on the situation by simply explaining the issue to me, even after my wait.:mad:

25. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

There is really nothing the police can do. They don't have time to recover stolen items as there are alot of people speeding on the streets and the crack police squad needs all available manpower to stop this terrible crime. What would you rather have you stuff back, safer neighborhood, less murder OR people speeding? I think we can sacrifice lives, belongings and crime in general to stop those damn speeders. :rolleyes: