my iPod is acting crazy

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 18thTomorrow, Sep 20, 2004.

1. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502

Hello,
    My 3g iPod is about 2 months old, and I didn't purchase AppleCare for it. I haven't gotten my Cram/Jam rebate back yet, either.
    Over the past three weeks it's been acting funnier and funnier. First of all, it's very slow to turn on, especially if it hasn't been used for a day or two. I have to wiggle the hold switch until it responds. (And this isn't just me being impatient at it--it's really not responding.) When I'm listening to it, I really have to shove the hold switch over to get it off. And if I sort of (gently) wave it back and forth, I can hear some piece rattling around inside.
    I'm really careful with the thing--Keep it in my pocket or in a padded compartment in my backpack or laptop case. No dropping/throwing. I'm thinking the hold switch issue could be a manufacturer defect--is this possible? What are my chances of getting it traded/fixed without AppleCare?

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

It's only 2 months old... Call Apple. You have a 1 year warrenty, 90 days tech support.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

sounds like a bad hold switch. that happened to my friend's mini and he had to take it in. you still have 1 year of applecare warranty even though you didn't purchase the extended one. if you have an apple store near you take it in, or take it to an authorized repair center such as compusa.

4. 12ibookg4 macrumors regular

if your hold switch is broken then i would try and get it replaced. but the other two problems you mentioned, taking long to wake up when left inactive for a few days and a rattle inside, arn't really problems. the taking a while to wake from sleep happens after it goes into a deep sleep state to save more energy than if would in a regular sleep. and on the rattling, i have the same sound when i shake my ipod so i think all of them are like that.

5. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

my 15GB 3G "rattles" too..
    i think it's the head of the drive (that reads and writes information). you don't want it to be too tight against the drive because it'll write random stuff if you shake it too hard... so, yeah, i think it's supposed to rattle...
    i wonder if that made sense...

reality

6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yea it rattles some worse than others.....

7. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

My 10GB 3G rattled so much that I got it replaced by Best Buy yesterday. I got a brand new 20GB 4G for it :D

8. iceTrX macrumors regular

Did you have one of those Best Buy warranties on it?

9. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

He must have. That is how the Best Buy warranties work.

10. 18thTomorrow thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help. I don't have an apple store nearby but I so have a compUSA pretty close so I'll take it in there. Your advice is much appreciated!