my ipod is acting funny, please help it

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by bombensington, Oct 8, 2002.

1. bombensington macrumors regular

Okay, here's the deal:

My 20GB iPod is acting silly ever since I ran the 1.2.1 update. The backlight is not turning off at all. I have made several attempts at changing the backlight timer (you never know, sometimes people miss that), and no dice.

Has anyone else's iPod been acting fishy?

Any suggestions? I suppose I could just reset it, but maybe there's an easier solution.

Thanks in advance, sorry I can't stick around, it's bedtime for bonzo.

2. bombensington thread starter macrumors regular

no replies?

aww thats okay, it sort of fixed itself...i'm not really sure how.

but problem solved, nonetheless.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Actually, my friend said it took him like 5 minutes of hitting the pause button before the iPod would stop playing!

And, incidentally, my 5GB iPod died yesterday. Stone cold. I've tried everything in the book, including draining the battery. It's met its maker, I'm afraid. Thank goodness Apple extended their warranty on the old models as well. :)

4. bombensington thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting...how long did you have your 5GB? i would hate to spend all that money and then have it die so soon...i hope they arent all like that.

here's another question i have...so i use my ipod at work pretty much all day (like 8 hours/day). does anyone know if that's bad for it? if it shouldnt get that much use? that may sound like a crazy question, but you never know.

5. davidc2182 macrumors regular

i've got a question

my 5gig ipod just died today also, i can reset it and get into the diagnostic mode and run a scan on the disk, however the scan never ends and eventually the battery dies and then when i plug it in and power up it displays the apple logo and then a file folder icon with an exclamation point inside of a triangle? any idea what that is?:mad:

6. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

what

How did I miss this?:eek: When did the warranties get extended? I must be blind

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: what

Back in July, they extended the warranties on all new iPods to 1 year (instead of the original 90 days). It was retroactive as well, so all original iPods fall under the new 1 year warranty too. :) I did not know this either until today when I searched all the iPod sites to troubleshoot my problem.

Keep in mind, though, that phone technical support is still only 90 days.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: i've got a question

Have you tried plugging it into your computer and running the iPod Updater and hitting "Restore"? It will erase everything on your iPod, but maybe it will help your problem.

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I've had my iPod since February 22. Two weeks later, a piece broke off so I sent it in for replacement. And I've been using that one ever since.

I'm going to give my iPod another 24 hours to drain. It keeps making this faint little clicking noise, so I'm holding out hope that it just needs more time. Her and me have been through a lot, I'm not ready to pull the plug! ;)