My iPod is bigger than my hard drive

Discussion in 'iPod' started by foosa, Jun 15, 2006.

1. foosa macrumors newbie

I got a shuffle last year so I loaded all of my music into iTunes. It came to about 20 GB, which fit on my 40 GB second hard drive in my PC (Windows XP). I just ordered a 60GB iPod in order to put videos on it, but I just realized that I don't have a 60 GB hard drive. I have about 25 GB free on the first hard drive in the PC.

Is there any way to make this work with my current setup? I have 20 GB free on the drive that has my music. I have 25 GB free on another hard drive in the same PC. I know that I can buy a bigger hard drive or get an external drive, but can I get by without doing that? What I'd like to do is to keep my videos on hard drive 1 and music on hard drive 2.

I don't see a way in iTunes to split up the music folder. There's only one check box for "Copy files to iTunes Music folder".

Alternatively, since I won't be watching my video on the computer, can I download the video to the iPod and then delete it in iTunes? I think that will delete it from the iPod the next time I connect.

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

why not buy a cheap external firewire or usb drive to store all your music?

Edit: Whoops, i guess i missed you mentioning that in your original post...:eek:

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

In that case, your only option is to disable the "Copy to iTunes Music Folder" option.

4. foosa thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I toggle the Copy function on and off, depending on what I'm working on? So when I get a new music file I turn the option on and let iTunes copy the file where it wants, but when I get a video I turn it off and it leaves it where I put it? I'll experiment with that.

Sort of a side question, what's the difference between "Add file to library" and "Import"? Can I make use of whatever differences are there?

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I have no idea, as I've never bothered with splitting my library like that.

I don't know that there is a difference. *shrug*