Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Captain Jack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Newb here. I own a 5th Generation 30 GB video iPod and I am have some issues with it. Everything was fine until I dropped it into the toilet a few weeks ago. I had let it dry off for a few days and it worked fine since then but it has recently began to fail in many applications. First, it becomes unresponsive. Whether I am listening to a song or attempting to listen to another, it will ocassionally freeze. It will also skip during songs. I try to reset it by holding the menu button and the center button but that does not get me far because it will reset but then freeze again. Secondly, it takes forever to charge when I attempt to charge it on the wall outlet. The only way I can get it to charge in a quick amount of time is connecting it to the computer. More than half of the time, it displays that it is still charging when it is really not. I have restored it multiple times is hopes that it would help but it has not. Any help please?

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Sounds smoked to me. Did you open it up completely and remove the battery to let it dry out? If not - the water that was in there, due to a chemical reaction with the electricity - etched away your PCB and changed components values.

Do not get your hopes up - but if you open this thing, unplug the battery, and wash the PCB (only - not the hard drive or display) in some distilled water - and then let it dry for a couple of days - it "might" work again.

Problem with your ipod - and most every electronics device today - the packaging is so dense, and almost air-tight - that once water gets in - it doesn't easily come out - and you have to open it up to accomplish this. So in the future - should something like this happen again - remove power (unplug battery) and open it up, and let it dry.

Good luck with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.