My iPod Shelf!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MattyMac, Sep 20, 2006.

1. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I've always wanted a display/case for my precious iPods and never could find one so I made it!

...and love it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

No offence but you need a better Apple Logo! :D Be creative and use the Apple stickers.

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

From the thumbnail I thought what are you talking about that logo look good, but then after I opened the photo larger. Yikes! :eek:

Yeah, definitely track down a sticker or find a logo online you can print out and have someone cut out neatly :)

Otherwise it's pretty cool. But how will you listen to them if they are in a display case?

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Nice case! :)

(and I gotta agree... I would even remove the Apple altogether, but that's just me.)

5. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I could definitely still clean up the apple...but I decided to make it in one day and get it done. First try...but I still think it came out pretty good.

It wasn't all that easy because the back piece and apple are all one. The apple is cut/carved out. If I round, sand, or router the edges a bit and repaint it, it would look much better I agree. Not a hard thing to clean up.

6. Lau Guest

I like it, MattyMac. I personally wouldn't have gone with a logo at all, as the iPods are the feature, but it's very impressive to have made that in a day, and the main bit looks very classy indeed.

7. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

What are you using foamcore or something along those lines? Because I know how hard that can be to cut and shape.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'm looking at it, and I can't really tell what I'm looking at: is the top open and wood is on three sides (left, right, bottom)?

It looks super-classy.. like something you'd see in an apple store. White iPods in the black case, Black iPods in the white case... I like it. :)

9. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

nope...just wood cut with a sabre saw

10. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Correct.

Thanks...definitely the look I was going for!

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Well done!

Damn, seeing those iPods side by side makes one wonder why the hell anyone bought the early models. How times change.

12. luckylisp macrumors 6502

13. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Thanks!

I love my first generation..especially since it is in pristine conditions and if you take it out in public...people are like "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT?!?!"

My gf won't let me put her pink mini in there...she still uses it and refuses to get a new iPod...I don't blame her.

I have a shuffle on order too...but I may need tweezers to take it in and out of their:D

14. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

15. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Right out of the top.

16. nickelbackmac macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

What happens when you get a new iPod? Does it have more space to fit another one?

If not, you're future iPod may feel left out :eek:

Nice case BTW, just trim up the Apple or get a sticker. I'd go without it, it would look more simple and people wouldn't think it's from Apple at first glance.

If using a logo, simply let people know what it's use is, and put something like "iPod", or "iHold". Or make up your own.

Just whatever it is, I wouldn't use the Apple logo. Then, people looking at it would get a better guess of you building it.

Carry on...

17. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Excuse me for being a PC using know nothing noob, but did Apple move away from their original rainbow Apple stickers? I ask because i think I still have a couple unused (in my cabinet at work) from when I worked with Macs years ago. And yes, I do really, really, REALLY want to get a Mac but I am stuck with Windoze for right now. :( :( :(

18. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Doing my best Mac commercial imitation I say; (Picture me dressed all in white like the PC Angel)

"It's wonderful. Ask him how he made it."

19. MattyMac thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I think it can fit a full screen iPod (that would be nice) or the girlfriends mini and a new nano. If not I'll have to make another identical one (or change it a bit based upon some of the suggestions) for the smaller iPods...ie nanos, minis, and shuffles; and another for the straight up iPods.

This is just my first attempt so there is room for change and expansion.
    hahaahah

20. KevKaos macrumors 6502

Glad you liked my little imitation.

Anyway, it looks like you used plexiglass, so I have a couple thoughts you may want to consider for the future.

If you get some LEDs, and build them into your framework so that they shine into the clear plexiglass, I think you could make the front glass glow whatever color you use. Sort of a neon effect.

Across the bottom where the iPods sit, you could maybe mount the docks and wire them up so that they could charge while in the display. But then, maybe you aren't using all of them anymore.

Not really sure if any of this is really feasible, but it is just some things I was thinking of. Either way, nice job.

21. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

very nice ! and great idea :) no doubt you will one day need to make a new, bigger one!

22. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

That is cool.
    It would be really cool if you rigged in chargers for each ipod (except shuffle)
    Then it would have fashion and function!

23. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

24. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I see you've gone with white iPods even when the black came out, very nice choice ;).

25. Frisco macrumors 68020

The Apple Rainbow logo was used from late 1976 to early 1998.