my ipod vs. airport x-ray machine

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by bombensington, Apr 13, 2003.

1. bombensington macrumors regular

so my ipod will be making its first cross-country trip...

and i am wondering if there could be any harm with the x-ray machines at the airport and my ipod. i'm sure there won't be a problem, but after you spend 500 bucks on something you want to make sure it won't get killed by the airport screeners.

if there is a problem with it going through the machine, is there some way i can prove to them that it is in fact an ipod and not a steak knife or something? i remember back in the day (okay, like 3 years ago) i could take my cell phone and just turn it on and off for them and that was good enough.

2. MPTV-Ti macrumors newbie

flying= no problem

have flown many, many times with my ipod in the past year and have yet to have one single problem going thru security/x-ray machine!

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

4. bombensington thread starter macrumors regular

great, that's good news to hear.

now if only i could not be so sad about finding 7GB worth of songs to not put on the ipod. :( wow i never thought i would say that about my 20GB. too bad there's not some sort of infintely expandable ipod that never gets full...ha ha ha.

5. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I fly every week. Never had an iPod or powerbook problem.

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

No problem on international flights either :D

Thank god I don't have that much music! I still haven't filled up my 5GB iPod... but I still love the idea of having ALL my music with me, so it would be such a pain to be in your situation!

irmongoose

7. boskie macrumors regular

I actually bought my iPod in NY the xmas of the year they came out (2001?) and flew home to the uk no problems - although the metal detectors always go off due to my piercings:p
    I also use it on the tube everyday with no problems there either, apart from dirty looks from other passengers!

WOW! I need to replace my playlists all the time - but thats from a combo of ripping my own cd's, 3 years with a janet connection @ university and ADSL @ home, @ work and @ most of my friends.

Thank you BT - It's good to talk! And to share;)

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

the only problem i have with iPods and planes and flying is that the battery doesn't last long...:D

9. bombensington thread starter macrumors regular

i get pretty good battery life from mine, actually...

and i guess it's not that long of a flight, just from des moines to sacramento with a stop in denver...so not that bad.

i haven't upgraded to the 1.2.6 update yet...is that an improvement for battery life, or should i stick with what i've got?

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

1.2.6 has certainly made the battery readings a lot more stable for me, and that stability does make it seem like the battery lasts longer.

11. bombensington thread starter macrumors regular

good to hear, i'll get it upgraded then.

thanks!

12. janey macrumors 603

janey

10 hours, very short and not long enough for something like a flight to japan.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

short as compared to what??

i can't use a single charge on the pod to play all my days and days worth of music... blah

there has to be a limit, and 10 hours is pretty damn impressive

that said, i don't get 10 hours (or even close) anymore... so that's another issue.

14. bombensington thread starter macrumors regular

well...i don't fly to japan that often, so the battery life is just fine for me. i guess "very short" is relative.

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

maybe the new ipods will have better battery life! :)