My iPod will still work right?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMatt mini, Jul 29, 2005.

1. iMatt mini macrumors 6502

I think there are two versions, I have the windows version. Will the windows version now work on a Mac or do I have to do something?
    I just thought of this. :confused:

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. iMatt mini thread starter macrumors 6502

Nevermind. :p

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You don't actually have to reformat it though. :)

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

step 8?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'm not sure why they said that either but I'm sure you don't have to reformat it. The only drawback of not reformatting is if there is an iPod firmware update, you have to do it on a PC if you don't want to reformat it then.

Maybe they're just covering their bases so they don't have to support Windows iPods running on Macs. :confused:

7. spiffymac macrumors newbie

Mac Format on Windows?

I have heard that you cannot use a mac formatted iPod on a windows pc as an external hard drive... is there anyone who can tell me that I'm wrong?

I'd LOVE to reformat to a mac iPod, but I still need my 60gb to transfer large files.

Thanks all. :confused:

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry but a Windows-formatted iPod will work with both operating systems whilst a Mac-formatted iPod will only work with a Mac.

9. punkbass25 macrumors member

lets clear up some of this myth and falsifications from farther up in the thread.

its not "mac" formatted or "windows" formatted.

the iPod is essentially a hard disk. its a hard disk that supports two diffrent file systems. theres HFS+ (just like the drives in your mac) and then there's FAT32 (which isn't what windows prefers to use,(that would be NTFS) however it is a format that works with every OS i've ever encountered.)

the HFS+ is a better system, however windows has zero support for it. so, if you have no need for ever plugging your pod into a windows machine (AND YOU HATE IT WHEN YOUR DRIVE NAMES ARE IN ALL CAPS) then HFS+ is for you, but iof you need to use it as a cross platform storage solution FAT32 is the way to go.

any of this talk of when you update the firmware on a "windows" ipod youll need a wintel box... well thats jus tstraight up lies. if your computer can recognize the drive (which if its FAT32 it will no matter what) it will do firmware updates and EVERYTHING else, (except that you cant use lower case letters in naming things.)

10. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

This is true. You cannot use an iPod formatted on a mac as an external hard drive on the pc. If you need to have this functionality, the iPod must be formatted as fat32.

11. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I had this issue too. I loved to use my ipod as an external HD. before I had my PB, my ipod was "linked" to my windows pc, but now I wanted to use my PB to manage my music. So what I found out by accident is that if you take your "windows" formatted ipod and hook it to your mac, while its still blank, the mac will update it as if it were a mac ipod.

before i did that, i backed up all my data into my mac.

If you didn't get what I just said...

1) backup to your mac
    2) reformat on windows
    3) take freshly reformatted ipod to mac
    4) update using itunes
    5) put all non music data back
    6) TADA! windows formatted ipod working seamlessly on mac ( isync and everything)