My iPod won't mount anymore!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Pittsax, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

First post here...sadly it's a technical problem.

My iPod (3rd Generation, 30 GB) all of a sudden refuses to mount to my desktop. If iTunes is open, I get the dreaded Beachball of Death, and the only cure is to either hard restart or remove the iPod from the cable, prompting the Device Removal error message (although the iPod never gets mounted on the screen in the first place). When I look at the iPod screen, it starts off okay (I don't autosync, so I have the "Do not remove" message on the screen). When the beachball is going, the iPod screen is also frozen.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be because I occasionally sync with another computer as well, but I'm pretty sure I have the same updates on both.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You might want to try a soft reset.

From Apple:
    Edit: Not sure if this will help. Sounds like your computer is confused, not your iPod. Perhaps running the iPod Software Updater (likely, in Applications->Utilities) and resetting the 'pod might help clear up your computer's issues as well. It will definitely wipe the iPod, though, so be sure - certain - that all your music is backed up first.

3. Pittsax thread starter macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Thanks for the help. It didn't completely solve the problem, but at least I can open the iPod updater now. I may just have to bite the bullet and restore the whole thing :mad:

Any thoughts on why this happened in the first place?

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My only guesses are:

(1) synching on more than one system caused the problem. It shouldn't cause a problem, but that's my guess. Either that, or

(2) you disconnected abruptly and left the computer in a bad state with respect to the iPod.

5. raddsigns macrumors member

Same thing happened to me on my 3rd Gen 20 GB iPod after I updated to 10.3.6 using the Software Update.

After browsing the Apple forums and asking for help there, someone directed me to download the combo update from the Apple website and install that over the top of the current install and then repair permissions.

I did this and it solved everything. Worth a shot and may keep you from having to restore the iPod.

The combo update can be downloaded here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxcombinedupdate_10_3_6.html

6. Pittsax thread starter macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Damn...I read your post a little too late.

Apparently, the iPod updater from 8/6 was part of the problem. I restored using it (it was the newest one my computer had) and I still was having problems. When I restored again using the previous updater program, everything seemed okay. I'm back up and running (although I have to reload all my music).

Are there any real perks to loading the newest update? I'd rather not muck around with things if everything is running smoothly.