Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
Hello, i am writing this while being very angry about my ipod's sound quality. Ok, today i turned it on, and it sounds like i am hearing it through a cell phone or something. The bass is horrible, and i can hardly hear the vocals :( :mad:. I am wondering if there is a specific way to get it to sound the way it did yesterday! i reset it using play/pause with menu. But I don't think that did anything. I am wondering if this is a frequent problem with the second revision of the 10GB ipod of the 3rd Gen. I know it isn't Amins fault but, i bought it from him here on MR a month or so, maybe three and a half weeks ago, and now it doesn't even work properly. I tried it in different headphones, so we can rule that out. Also, i have fiddled with the different equalizer settings, but it sounds the same: CRAPY!. If anyone has any ideas, then please post, i am desperate. I really don't think it has any warranty left, or else amin would have sent it like he said, if he still had it.

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
wnameth said:
Hello, i am writing this while being very angry about my ipod's sound quality. Ok, today i turned it on, and it sounds like i am hearing it through a cell phone or something. The bass is horrible, and i can hardly hear the vocals :( :mad:. I am wondering if there is a specific way to get it to sound the way it did yesterday! i reset it using play/pause with menu. But I don't think that did anything. I am wondering if this is a frequent problem with the second revision of the 10GB ipod of the 3rd Gen. I know it isn't Amins fault but, i bought it from him here on MR a month or so, maybe three and a half weeks ago, and now it doesn't even work properly. I tried it in different headphones, so we can rule that out. Also, i have fiddled with the different equalizer settings, but it sounds the same: CRAPY!. If anyone has any ideas, then please post, i am desperate. I really don't think it has any warranty left, or else amin would have sent it like he said, if he still had it.

Do you have a dock? If so, when you listen to music through the dock's audio out, how does that sound? If no dock, then when you hook the iPod to the computer, play a song from your iPod through iTunes. How does that sound? Basically, what I am getting at is....if the sound is fine from the port on the bottom (which connects to the dock or the computer) but terrible from the headphones jack, then you have a bad headphones jack itself. If the sound is bad from both ends, then it might be a problem with the iPod itself. HTH.

ILuvMyMacMini

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2005
Toronto
Did you recently install the 2.3 software update?

I have a year old 40 Gb iPod (I don't know the generation - the one that was out just before the click wheel one).

It was formatted on my Windows PC, and sounded great. I just bought the Mac Mini, so I moved my music over to it. I also downloaded the 2.3 software update.

Since the iPod was formatted on the PC, I had to totally restore the iPod to install the update. I restored it using the 2.3 updater, did the update, and then re-sync'ed all my music.

After doing this, my music sounded like crap. The bass was all muddled - through both the headphones and the dock.

So tonight I went back and did a restore through the 2.2 update program (it was in my Applications/Utils directory), resync'ed my music, and it sounded great again. Feeling brave, I then did the 2.3 update (not having to restore this time), and thankfully everything still sounds ok.

So I think something went wrong when I updated the first time.

Have you tried doing a restore and resync'ing your music again?

Babygirl89

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2006
Can any1 help me with ipod sound problem please....?

Hi!

Ive had my ipod for a month now and it was working fine until today. When i try listening to music it makes schreeching noises :mad: and i cant really hear what the singers singing. I plugged the ipod into the computer and i listen through same headphones and it works fine i can hear the music properly but not when its on the ipod.

Can anyone help me...i would really be thankful...:)

Babygirl

techguy05

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2006
Have your tried changing the EQ settings?

Have you tried messing around with the EQ Settings? This is for the "Master EQ" setting. Click the 3rd button from the right and set the sliders to the following (from left to right):

db +3, +6, +9, +7, +6, +5, +7, +9, +11, +8 db

Here is the URL for the page with instructions as well as a nice picture to what the sliders should look like:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040902070807431

It totally cranks up the sound and makes a HUGE difference in sound quality output on the iPod.

Later,

TechGuy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.