My issues being a designer(comments welcome)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kitki83, Mar 27, 2007.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I don’t know if this applies in this forum or in Graphic Design. But its more a career talk. I am a graphic designer for a corporate company. Anyway I was working on some print material, Flipbook and Folder with pages. I got the PDF from print company there where small mistakes that I missed because of the result of edits upon edits of changes. I am not copywriter (contract agreement).

Here how it goes, I create something, I am given the copy and my boss would send the piece to everyone in the whole company for feedback and changes. So you can bet I revise my piece 100 times (no joke), basically until the last person likes it, that’s when it goes to print. My problem is doing so many changes and revisions I loose my subjective view on the piece. I cant do is put it aside for few days to look at it fresh but I do email PDF to everyone in my department for final look, which they don’t respond at all (certified email read receipt, its my way of protecting myself of them saying they never got the email). Just to clarify there’s no problem with artwork more of copy where they made typo and I would drop it in. The thing about my job or company they are neither efficient nor good at doing projects on time.

Ok my question is how can I improve my detail catching (proof reading skills) when I am not given time (even though I ask for few days to finalize). I would like to say when I get printers PDF to tell them its good to print that is not happening at my job.

One option is taking the piece home and looking at it when I am comfortable and different mood compared to work.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Is your printer charging your client for the edits your making (after submitting the file), or for the revised proof or anything? I have some of the same issues with my job, but after a couple of extra charges for revisions, they quickly get the hint that it's better to figure out the text before it goes to print. I'm currently working on getting them to approve the text before it comes to me, but that might be a losing battle. :)

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No charges, so I guess thats why they don't care about the printing. But I see you have a similar issue, kinda a relief its not just me.

4. shecky Guest

shecky

AA's are a very common workflow issue (edits after the printer has gotten the files) and its something the printer will (normally) charge back to the client; nothing unusual there. since you are not a copywriter the way it "should" work is the printer's Kodak proof/Dylux proof is given to the copywriter who signs off on the text, and you sign off on everything else (color, trim, etc..) and go from there.

having said that, while it is not technically your responsibly for proofing edits, it is often an assumed one. i have a little mental list i go thru when proofing (rags, spaces, hyphens, justification, special characters, alignment) that helps me not to miss anything, usually. its just part of the job. a big part of being a good designer is attention to detail, and that includes this kind of stuff for better or worse.

i actually do not think what you are talking about is subjective at all - its (mostly) objective. either it should be an em dash, or an en dash. either its spelled wrong, or right, etc... sure there is a bit of interpretation in rags and such, but you are basically doing a "conventions of typography" pass thru the document.

5. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks I was really getting concern about my skills in design I dont have problems with artwork and layout. 95% of the changes are all based on copy changes because it has to go through so many people just to get approved to print.

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Good thing most of the work I do have to go through the 1000 lawyers we have before it goes to print. :D

I would like to learn more about proof reading though, I'm terrible with spelling, grammar and typos. :eek:

7. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

same here!!!!

I am going to research such methods to improve that