My iTunes is taking a lot of CPU %

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eXan, Jun 28, 2005.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I have noticed that when playing a song iTunes takes around 10 % of CPU and sometimes jumps to 19/20% for a second. Is this OK?

2. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Well thats a lot. Why 20% to just play audio?? 10 is ok, but 20???

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well think about it, its gotta load up your massive library, you may have an equalizer on (altered treble and bass levels), its displaying the tags for an incredible amount of songs, its also gotta scroll smoothly, you might have the sound enhancer on and its gotta display album art. I think that's it :p Correct me if I'm wrong in places ;)

4. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

My library is only 594 songs, eq was set to Flat (no adjustments), no tags, the particular song that was playing had no artwork and I was idle, watching Activity Monitor inspect iTunes.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

About half the CPU used by iTunes can go into updating that silly fake LCD display. Minimize it to the dock; or, turn it to mini player mode (green jellybean), then drag in the corner until the LCD thingy disappears; and see the difference in usage.

EQ doesn't use much, but to see any difference you have to turn if off with the check box rather than set it to flat.

Also, when you're not using the store, don't leave it open (that is, leave the main windows displaying your library). iTMS likes to to lots of auto-refresh thingies.

6. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

I have minimized iTunes into the Dock and now it takes 7.80-8.10 CPU %.

Thank you :)

7. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan