My job threatened because I am a Mac user!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cheese, May 30, 2005.

1. Cheese macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2002
    In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    So, I was talking to the I.S. department guy about computers six months ago, (Rapid update, my dayjob company uses wintel's exclusively.) and he asked me what kind of system I had. I told him and he was like, "you're a Mac guy!" all surprised and stuff. I have been talking to him about how cool my mac is on a very infrequent basis, and he seemed underwhelmed about the whole mac thing, but he was taking a "good for you" attitude about it. Today was the kicker. We had trouble with an automated piece of equipment, and the I.S. guy was called in to help troubleshoot. After he left, my boss told me to never be caught speaking to the I.S. guy again or else, and that the I.S. guy can't stand me. Not that I am even slightly concerned about the I.S. guy and his disdain for my type, but it was the way it was said. My boss said, "If I have to hear from that guy one more time about your Mac machine, you'll be called up front over it". I love my Mac as much as the next person, but my superiors are hatin' so hard that they actually threatened my job because of my choice of computer! I am not allowed to discuss my motorcycle, and now my Mac ... but I am forced to withstand the constant onslaught of their endless pradlling on about: their fishing tournament, or their hunting expedition, or their conquest of the day, or their adult entertainment excursion from the previous evening. I have again made a feeble and likely futile attempt to conform to their culture (or lack thereof), only to endure further humiliation. I should not have to be punished merely for thinking different! I should have the right to think as I wish, but my greatest concern is that this is only the beginning of things to come. We will soon be discriminated against based on the type of memory we buy, or whether we choose to refill our spent ink tanks instead of recycling them and buying new ones, or what type of toilet paper we buy. Perhaps, my thoughts of getting a hybrid car are too liberal for the rubbish heads that steer my present company.
    Thanx for letting me vent... NOW... has anyone else had anything like this happen to them too, or is it just me?
  2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I know this is easy for me to say, but get a new job. I would never work for people like that unless I absolute had no choice.
  3. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    What a weasel, going straight to the boss instead of just telling you he doesn't want to hear about your mac. Sounds like he embellished the story a bit as well.
  4. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    they do sound rather stupid - i would start looking for another job.
  5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Document the conversations, this could be useful later if there is a wrongful dismissal action.
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    micro-tape recorder to leave in your office desk for just this type of conversation. they sound like idiots, and i am sure you could catch some pretty funny things on tape. although, the I.S. can probably read your company email.
  7. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    :( thats a bummer but i wouldnt wana work for a such a close minded group anyway so if u can afford to find a new job get it
  8. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    That I.S. guy is a dirk.

As for the other people in your office... sure sounds like fun in there :p ;)

Maybe it will all change when the boss gets himself an iPod, and you get to be called up front to explain his cute little gadget. After a few months of further assimilation to Mac just asking him nicely would be more then enough to have him sack that I.S. guy.
  9. Truffy macrumors 6502a

May 9, 2005
    somewhere outside your window...
    Sounds more like it's your boss with the problem than the IS guy. After all, the IS guy could always tell you he's not interested, right? And was it the IS guy complaining that got them to stop you talking about your bike?

Take CanadaRAM's advice and note the conversations, or better, tape them. Sounds like their ass will be legalmeat in the event of an industrial dispute.
  10. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    Eh, I get crap all the time at work for my Macs, but it's all in good humor. They've bought me three of them (soon to be four...mmmmmm shiny new iMac 20"), so it's not like they have a problem with me using them. Just inferiority complexes, that's all ;)

I get mine, though. Every time there's a virus outbreak or someone having mad spyware issues, I get to laugh :)
  11. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just a thought from the other side, when you're a big fan of a sport/computer/vehicle/TV show, you sometimes don't realise how often you might talk about it or refer to it in conversation. :eek:

While your IS guy is very likely going over the top and should speak to you rather than your boss, just try to be aware of how many times you might mention your interests. It is very hard when no-one else shares them and has hobbies that do nothing for you but you either join in...see if there are quiet colleagues with similar interests... or leave.

There's a guy in our office who is fairly quiet. On those occasions where you end up across the coffee machine, sharing a table in the canteen and ask what is he doing this weekend, you get too much detail about his car and the tweaks he is making to it. I'm sure that he doesn't think he talks about his car frequently or with too much detail but for those of us with no interest, it's got to the point where we avoid ending up in the canteen with him since it's his only real topic of conversation and he shows little interest in what anyone else is doing.

Although you might be mentioning your Mac to your IS infrequently from your point of view (and only every couple of months in real time), from his viewpoint it might feel like every time he sees you.

If you honestly don't think this is the case, then it's time to find a new workplace with colleagues that you like and share interest with. You have to spend a large proportion of your life with them, find people you like! ;)
  12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Good advice. After being badly screwed over by an employer, I've resolved to always keep documentation when the relationship is going south. (Fortunately that hasn't happened since, but you never know.) Start by documenting that the IS guy has never approached you about this "problem", but went over your head to your boss. Also document their conversational freedom vs. your restrictions.

The bad thing about a possible wrongful dismissal suit is, an employment lawyer wants something like $2500+ up front. I've never found a lawyer willing to handle that kind of action on a contingency basis.

With regards to the job, it certainly sounds like it's going south for you. I've watched this same thing happen with several colleagues over the last few years. So yeah, look for another job, starting now, and document what's going on at this one.

About tape-recording conversations: check on what's legal in your state. Also, companies have a huge advantage over employees thanks to "at will" hiring laws. Realize that if they found out you were secretly tape recording anything, they could probably fire you on the spot.
  13. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Sep 21, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    I agree with this sentiment. Evil coworkers will embellish stories to make you look bad. The boss calls you in and "confirms" one part of the "story," and in the boss's mind that confirms all the lies the other guy included as well.
  14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
  15. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5

I know what you mean. Our company IT guy sure has my sympathy. Everyone who talks to him (friends, family, co-workers) always wants to talk about computers. He lives and breathes the stuff, but it must get old.

Back OT, it sounds like the OP is in a pretty unhealthy work environment. If the IT guy and the boss are against you for any reason, your workday isn't going to get much better in the near term. I suggest you polish up the resume and see what else is out there.
  16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    I've never experienced anyone with that type of behavior. Why get so bent out of shape because of one's choice of computer?

Anyways, I work in the Print/Electronic Media field. It's quite the opposite here. If someone is using a PC, they get teased and told that they need to switch over to the "light side." :D

Although, I did work for photographer that refused to use Macs. However, that was because he didn't want to spend the $$$ to purchase one. He admitted that his photography friends that used Macs liked them. He just made a personal choice and decided to build his own PCs. He definately never ridiculed me.
  17. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I agree that you need to find a new job. Sounds to me that they don't like you and are using your subjects of conversation against you. It probably has less to do with what you are discussing and more to do with your actual presence there. Trust me- take the hint and get out.
  18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    How did it come to pass that you are already not allowed to talk about your motorcycle? What was the context? That's so strange.... I have never heard of this kind of thing, unless either the behavior on your part is completely impairing your work, or these people just don't like you. Did anyone ever allege the former? If not, you probably should think seriously about moving on.... :(
  19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Complaining never gets you anywhere. No need to go talk with the boss or the boss's boss. Just except it and move on, or just move on. This isnt worth your time and energy.
  20. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I agree with other posters that there is likely a hidden agenda behind your boss's actions. If you have other options in terms or employment, I'd seek them out. It sounds like they're just looking for an excuse.
  21. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I am amazed that you even get a choice of computer at work. At my office, they just slap a black box down and tell you to get to work. Did you buy your office Mac or did the company?
  22. Cheese thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2002
    In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    To clarify a bit, I do not get a choice of computer at work. As is the case for most of the schmoe's I meet, their company plops them down a nondescript semblance of wintel blobbery and says, "there's your new computer!", as if they are mentioning that you are getting an unlimited expense account or something. I am told not to talk about my iMacs that I use AT HOME! I am even told that I am not to discuss folding. How is this relevent to hurting my work, since I work on industrial manufacturing equipment, whether I use a Mac or a TI99/4a is none of their concern in my book. They are all constantly blathering about the most inane subject matter not related to work, and whenever my turn comes to speak about what I do away from work, I tell THE TRUTH! I love my Mac! I ride my motorcycle. I don't get out much working an average of 55+ hours per week at the sludge pit, and then all my spare time is used writing and playing with my children. And chores... Not much to talk about for most folks, so I am usually asking, "What do you think", or something so that I don't have to respond to anything. I am going to start looking for another place to work, after 3 & a half years. I think that the behavior borders on harrasment anyway... Thanx for the posts... keep 'em coming!
  23. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    1. This sounds like a very restricted place to work. Can't talk about your motorcycle as well. Weird. What other restrictions are there?

2. You may be discussing your Mac a bit more than you realise. However, for the IT guy to complain to your boss without discussing the situation with you is not a good situation.

3. I have been in PC centric arenas. Not fun. The best solution here is to become a crossplatform user. That way you fit in with them on the PC side and they can more easily accept your personal choice of using a Mac. It is very hard for them to argue at this point because you live in both camps.

4. Having been a manager for many years, I would suggest that there is a hidden agenda with your boss. Tread carefully.

5. Be careful about recording conversations. This can backfire on you. In many cases because what you are doing may be illegal all you can do is have the balls to shoot it out one on one with your boss. For many folks, this is a difficult option because most bosses know how to cover their tracks.

6. Memorandum for Records are diffinitely something you should look into. Document everything as you go along. This way you will have a paper trail of what has been happening. Always write two versions. The first draft captures everything including your emotional response. Then the next day, make your second draft by editing out the emotion parts and clarifying the confusing. Then finalize. But don't delete the emotional first draft. It can provide you insight in the future. Be consistent when you document. Keep your memos to 1 page if possible. Date and sign each one. Keep the originals in a safe place.

7. Speaking of which, the office environment is not secure. They could be reading your e-mail messages or looking on your computer for personal files such as memos referenced in para 6.

8. Be very careful who you trust in this situation. Some folks will befriend you only to try to gain brownie points by ratting on you to the boss. Every office has them. Don't ya just love office politics? :eek:

Anyhow, best of luck in your situation.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    This sounds like someone informing you that you cannot discuss religion at work.

In other words, it sounds a bit like a response to someone who is very pro Mac, a zealot by chance. Maybe you may have pushed the Mac thing a bit more than you realize and some folks think that you are part of some Mac clut.

What you may have here is a huge communication disconnect. Unless this situation is corrected, it will only get worse from the sounds of it.

25. BlackDan macrumors 6502

Aug 20, 2004
    Hmm, sorry to here that. Doesn't sound like a very fun place to work. Whatever you do, don't loose the mac or the bike (even though it's a chopper :D )

At my job, there's plenty of people who ride a bike (not choppers though :cool: ) including myself. And just 2 Mac users. We never experienced any problems with that however...

There was 1 small incident, which was rather funny. There was a virus going around at the office and we were told not to connect our personal laptops to the network anymore. (which I understand) at that time only 1 person used to do that, with his powerbook. So he was told that the risk of viruses on personal pc's was too high... Yeah right on a Mac :D

Again, i understand that this is a security problem and I agree with the decision, but it shows again that even the top of the IT-foodchain here has no clue about macs. (we're an IT company, who even supports MAc-customers, go figure...)