My kid watches youtube video non-stop. How long should a brand new ipod touch last?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Sean Dempsey, Mar 17, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006
    I have a son who watches youtube videos until the battery runs dry. I have no idea what to expect from continuous youtube playback with regards to battery life. We seem to be charging it from 0% at least twice a day.

I swear it's draining in 3 hours or so. Will continuous streaming of youtube video just wipe it out fast?
  2. macrumors 68040

Jul 2, 2012
    Peole are Stoll using the same iPod from years ago so I doubt it matters.
  3. macrumors 65816

Feb 25, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    Son watches 6 hours of youtube a day on that tiny screen? I'd be more worried about his eyesight and not the ipod battery.
  4. macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Kids have better eyesight than us old folks. He'll be fine.
  5. macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Los Angeles Area
    Have him plugged into the charger while watching.
  6. macrumors 65816

May 27, 2011
    Lima, Peru
    its going to get worst in the long run anyway, as a child he shouldn't be on it all the time, at least the tiny screen. Now if he is 15+ years old, well why not lol
  7. macrumors member

Nov 15, 2011
    Perth, Australia
    You should be more concerned with your kids social development than your iPods battery life....
  8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006
    He is significantly mentally disabled and barely can speak. He just has me search for Thomas the train and then just randomly jumps around videos. I am not real concerned, he gets plenty of specialized help/schooling for someone with his low level of ability and plenty of exercise so he doesn't get obese.

I should have reworded the title. I meant to ask how long a battery session should last watching YouTube. Since I guess it's like an iPhone, 2-3 hours of solid Internet streaming is all I can expect.
  9. macrumors member

Oct 29, 2012
    It probably won't last that long. I've never really used my idevices so intensively like that. But if you want it to last longer, or charge faster you can find accessories to help you out.

External Batteries can help extend the life of the device. Or perhaps go with a lightning connector to charge it faster.

To answer your original question here is the iTouch battery life expectancy chart:
  10. Weaselboy, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

macrumors Core

Jan 23, 2005
    It is nice your son derives some pleasure watching the vids. The info below is from Apple, and says you can expect 400 full charge/discharge cycles.

Like rgarjr mentioned, keepinging it plugged in while he is watching will minimize battery cycles.

Too bad you need to put up with condescending and unsolicited parenting advice while you try get a simple question answered. :(

Edit: I don't know if your son would like it, but I have a very young nephew who is into Thomas, and he freakin' loves this Thomas the Train game.
  11. macrumors 65816

doug in albq

Oct 12, 2007
    Rather jerk-like response. :mad: