MY LAB'S GETTING A DUALIE 2.5!!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by themadchemist, Aug 20, 2004.

1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah! I'm excited. We ordered it a few days ago and it's set to come in October. Our lab's a neurophysiology/neuroanatomy lab, and we're going to be using the G5 for neural simulations. Before I left for the summer to study for the MCAT, my professor told me I was going to be doing some simulations in the Fall. When I got back, one of the post-docs told me we were ordering the G5.

So it looks like I might get to spend a lot of time up close and personal with it!!! How awesome is that?! I'm really excited!

Plus, the post-doc said exactly what I was thinking, which is important since he'll probly have admin access: "Boy, it would make a great gaming machine...I could probably hide a few on there." :D

I can't wait! :D

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, big news!

I notice that science labs don't usually have the best computers and such, mostly because of their budget. We have crappy P4 machines where the monitors don't work, and some of the CD drives seem broken. That's okay though, because sometimes the best software for what I need to do (eg: gamma ray spectrometry) are DOS programs, or older programs that look like crap. Science related software is sometimes that old and ugly. However, there are very good reasons for using such software, so we don't bother buying new computers and LCDs to run programs that look like they were written for a Game Boy. :p Of course, I've used a Sun Microsystems computer with Pinnacle loaded, and it cost over $100 000, so it depends.

And does the software you use have to be written for the Mac? I rarely find any science software written specifically for Apple. :(

3. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, it was a rare find, but when I walked into the lab to talk to the professor about joining in January, and I saw the Macs and iPods everywhere, I knew it was home. We do, however, have a few PCs, because some of the best data collection & analysis software for electrophys is PC only (Clampex, I think?). However, everyone in the lab (esp. the only important guy, the prof) is a huge mac fan. Therefore, whenever we can, we get Macs. Definitely, the personal computers for people in the lab, like the professor's own computer, are PowerMacs and PowerBooks.

I'm assuming that the good software with respect ot neural simulations must be for the Mac, if we ended up ordering a G5. It makes sense since the G5's are so amazing at arithmetic operations, vector processing, and number crunching in general and I figure that's a lot of what these simulations involve. It's kind of nice to be able to use a ridiculously powerful computer and actually have a reason for needing such computing power.

But as you said, a lot of great software isn't that processor intensive (or that new) so in that case, it's perfectly fine to use older computers. Hey, NASA only recently started putting 603's in their rovers.

However, it does look to me like the ol' PI must be doing well with the grants--and if he wants to splurge, I will welcome it with open arms. :D

So Abstract, what are you doing with gamma ray spec?