My LaCie 120GIG HD Was Stolen!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by ecino1, Jul 11, 2003.

1. ecino1 macrumors member

Last week I ordered a 120GIG external Firewire drive from J and R (some online store based in NY state). The store has a perfect rating and I have bought from them before without a problem. Today, a delivery guy from Canada Post came to my door and put the package on the ground. I signed the delivery paper and closed the door. When I picked up the parcel I immediately knew somthing was wrong! The box felt extremely light, and I opened it quickly. Inside the brown shipping box there was a LaCie 120 GIG drive box, but inside that box there was NOTHING! The onlt thing left in the box was the protective foam padding for the drive! I looked at the documentation on the box and it stated that the weight recorded by the US postal service for the parcel was 7lbs. The same weight was recorded at the border. So I concluded that the problem occurred on the canadian side of the border. I called the J and R company and they are starting to investigate the situation. I also contacted the guy that delivered the box and he said he didn't mess with it or anything. Basically I cannot do much else at this time except wait for J and R to investigate the situation. The package was insured, so I assume i will get my money back (payed on credit card) eventually. But I dont know of anything I can do at the moment. This sucks.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sorry, man... i hope you get your $$$ back.

j&r is a reputable store... lots of catalog sales and based in the NYC area. i got my 12" pb from them and everything was done very fast and correct. so i hope they take good care of you too.

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If it was insured, you will be reimbursed.

Contact your credit card company via certified mail this week and alert them that you have paid for something and not recieved it. This will protect your rights in the future.

Bummer though, my 80GB LaCie is a nice piece of hardware. You'll enjoy the product you eventually get, so cheer up!

4. ecino1 thread starter macrumors member

I was looking forward to getting it so much. I just recently bought a 12 inch powerbook with the 40gig drive and it has only .5 GIGS left on it, so I was really excited about getting this drive to put all my video stuff onto. I contacted the credit card company and they said I have to wait 60 days to see if the problem gets straightened out....then they will give my $$$ back. So I hope J and R can take care of business here.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just to be on the safe side... get something in writing from the credit card company, contact information so you can hold someone accountable and an explanation on why you have to wait two months. i would hate to see you get screwed two months later by the credit card company saying that you've waited too long.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I want to suggest the same thing. Someone telling you this on the phone means nothing. You may never get the same customer service rep on the phone ever again. Phone up again, ask the same question, and get the customer rep's name, first AND last name, if possible. Either that, or request something in writing.

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well look on the bright side...if you had the drive and had all your important work backed up on to it and thne you lost it that might be much worse