My LaCie HD is not showing up!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wattage, Oct 29, 2005.

1. wattage macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2005
    I don't know why but my ext. hard drive is not showing up on my powerbook desktop! I came home from work this morning and booted up the PB but no hard drive partitions.... I have checked the connections and turned it off and on multiple times but nothing. This has my entire iTunes(15gig) and iPhoto(6gig) libraries, as well as my clone of the powerbook's hard drive.

What do I do??? LaCie's cust. serv. is not open on Sat. Any suggestions??? Please, anyone??
  2. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    Try this

In your Apps folder>Utilities> Disk Utility, see if it shows up. If it does maybe it can repair it. Hate to say this but LaCie Ext. HD don't last long under heavy use. I had 3 60GB Firewire w/blue plastic case fail within 4 months of each other under heavy use. Your best bet is to go buy a internal HD of your choice and replace the current HD in the LaCie.
  3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    Canada's South Coast
    Unplug It!

I filed the exact same post nearly a year ago. You need to unplug your Lacie HD from the wall, then plug it back in and it will show up again. (Note that simply shutting it off at the drive is NOT the same thing!) Sometimes it just gets confused, I think, and it requires a complete cold start to reset it.

Other than this weird little quirk (which affects both my Lacie FW HD & Lacie FW DVD burner) I've had a very positive experience with Lacie products.
  4. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2005
    I did what you said, unplugged it,......................AND IT WORKS!!!!

Thank you sooo much! Dare I say, I Love You?

I was worried that my wife had shut the comp. down without ejecting the hard drive, thus damaging it. Who cares now, all is well.
    Thank you again, my day is made, I will work overtime tonight to try and repay this good fortune.
  5. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    ya, that's how i fried mine, only it was through putting it to sleep -- i replaced the internal drive and now no better
  6. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2005
  7. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    OS X and LaCie drives sometimes don't get along...if unplugging it from the wall doesn't work you can try unplugging it from the computer and plugging it back in, and trying different ports on the back of the drive. :)
  8. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2005
    Everything is fine now, I really love my LaCie products, ext. hard drive and D2 dvd DL RW drive. Just happy I didn't lose my libraries!!
  9. schmittie macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2005
    yeah, I loved my LaCie Porsche drive until it stopped mounting after about 6 months of use.

Did all the "replace the firewire cable...", "reset your permissions...", "power down your computer, unplug it from the wall or surge protector, and wait about 15 minutes and then power it up, this will reset the bus"

Nothing worked. Then I discovered that the porsche drives overheat because of a lack of fan and air vents in the case, causing the firewire mount points to seperate. All I had to do was replace the case to one with a fan. Works fine now
  10. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    God knows why Apple sell the LaCie drives in their stores! They seem pretty terrible to me.
    I had one once - my advice, DON'T bang the table it's sitting on - not only did it screw the drive but it screwed the PB it was connected to (running OS 9).
    Prior to that, it corrupted the 6GB or so I sent to it - I blame the software it shipped with ("Silverkeeper" i recall) as much as anything - don't use that stuff, just drag & drop.
    A couple of years later, I connect it to a 10.2 machine, thinking that the stability and advancements of the OS would enable me to fix stuff and maybe use it again - not only did it not work, but OS X got so badly screwed it seemed that I had to completely re-install it! (Drives would not mount, etc - a bloody mess!) I didn't even transfer any data that time!
    So, a few weeks ago I got to the point where I had 5GB left (from 80) on my iMac. Knowing my only option was an external drive I got a "Maxtor Onetouch II". After a few initial problems (the so-called "backup" software refusing to open) I just dragged across what I could (mostly my music collection ~30GB - a lot of audiobooks!), made sure the files were running on the external drive (by changing iTunes prefs etc) zeroed the internal drive and re-installed Tiger.
    So far (fingers crossed) NO data corruption, NO mounting issues and no other problems. Oh, and of course, Tiger is running a lot faster than before (it was an update of 10.3, which was an update of 10.2!). I recommend the Maxtors over the LaCies any day.

Having said that the LaCie CD burner I bought a while back works great! :eek:

Oh - and I now keep the Maxtor on a small cupboard I have under my desk - it is in no way touching the desk surface - I like it that way!
  11. wattage thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2005
    I must say that this post is the only problem I have had with my LaCie products. I used mine to clone my HD from the pbook to, and restore after a new HD(100gig/7200) installed in the ole pbook. I really like them, but my opinion would probably change if I lost my data. I have learned to backup, backup, backup!!
  12. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I bought a lacie external 250GB drive the other day and have to say that it does exactly what its supposed to. The drive inside is a seagate which is perfectly decent stuff. Silverkeeper works fine for me for my current needs. Although I find its scheduling options a bit meager. What kind of software do you guys use for your backups (if you don't use drag drop)?
  13. InfiniteLoop1 macrumors member

Sep 25, 2005
    i have a 20gb old lacie hard drive (see sig), my friend plugged it into its PC, and when i plugged it into my mac, into didnt mount either. i didnt have anything too important, so i wiped it and started again, works fine though, just use it for backup purposes as its not all that reliable. its a hand-me-down when it stuffed up on dad and he got a maxtor 200GB!