My Latest Obsession

Discussion in 'Community' started by carbonmotion, Jun 7, 2004.

1. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

Ok, I'm not one to get obsessive compulsive about anything, but last week I went to visit my buddy Todd on campus and discovered that he has sold his 10 -speed bicycle for sportsbike came flooding back. He uses the bike to ride to class and having borrowed it for a day, I've become addiced to the stylishnish of his bright red Honda. I want to buy a black Kawa ninja from 97-99 ...it'd look so bad ass when I finish modding it with blue led lights round the intake vents. Drool. here's a picture that I've been obsessing over that i found on image.google [​IMG] what do you think? should i get one for college? I mean I already have a car, so I need you guys to give me some pragmatic reasons for a bike (besides style.).

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

You have no idea how addicting bikes are! Im hooked for life....

Here is a picture of what mine looks like(no pictures on this computer)

Attached Files:

3. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Two vehicles to go to college with?? I could easily support my car in HS but now that I'm in college, school work takes precedence and I hate paying teh bills for the car. I can't imagine having to pay for a motorcycle too.

But if you can afford it, they are alot of fun.

BEN

4. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

do you need another reason?

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    here in CA, you can split lanes, so that gets you thru traffic faster, and there's usually Bike parking that's really close at most colleges. Gas mileage is great, but road rash sucks.

im saving up for a R6, or a CBR600 currently :rolleyes:

6. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Hmm, pay for it fully with cash, pay liability only on insurance, and you have a great ride thats fast and gets good gas mileage!

But I wouldn't get a zx9 for a first bike if I were you, bit too much for a newbie. See if you can find a similar 600 with the right styling :D

and take the motorcycle safety course!

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

aah get a 50bhp yellow lupo and cane the pants off it. it may be slow but still fun and wont kiil you as readily! also your license will stay in existence!

8. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

dude that car doesnt look good at all, besides I want a bike. You can't look as stylish in car as you can with black leather jacket, black helmet, and a black Ninja.

9. russed macrumors 68000

russed

the british model does. i have one! i love it! it is my first car admittedly but it rocks! it may be slow but drive it poperly and it is so so so fun!

10. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

a tad off topic... im happy for you though.

11. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I LOVE street bikes! If I had the money and my parents would let me I would get one in a second. Did I say that I love street bikes?!

12. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

With the cost of gas? Go for the bike. Just be safe ;)

13. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Do it for the thrill, but you should forget any idea of being safe. You will make mistakes and others will include you in their mistakes.

I don't care how stupidly expensive petrol gets, you will have to pay for yours and others mistakes and it will be painful, if not the most expensive mistake you'll ever make. (life gets much safer when you're confined to a wheel chair with only the screaming reminders of life around you getting on and doing the things you had always assumed you would be doing.)

U.K. and bikes is not good.

Miles of straight, empty and dry roads would be a much better risk.

personal transport for now means getting a car.

:( just my realistic U.K. view on the idea.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There is no practical reason to get a sport bike in Michigan (how often is it warm and dry) if you already have a car, IMO. If you were in LA, for example, that would be a different story. Bikes are ridable almost year round, gas is f**king expensive, and bikers can have an easier time in traffic and w/parking.

Lethal

15. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

i say go for the bike! i have a '03 yamaha r6 and love it - i've been riding now for 5 years. i will say that i don't commute all that much on it - i usually have to carry too much crap back and forth and don't like the hassle of a heavy backpack all the time. plus, my work attire is pretty formal and it's a pain to change shoes, pants, etc. so a car is much easier, but the current gas prices are making me re-think that.

michigan is not the most hospitable place to enjoy a motorcycle for most of the year. i live in california, so it's a different story for me. that could be a downside for you. also, would you have a safe place to store it at college? motorcycles can be pretty easy to steal for the determined thiefs (it just takes 2 or 3 guys to simply lift one up and place it in the back of a truck or van so they can just deal with any disc locks and the ignition later). when i've lived places where i didn't have a garage, i was just sure to park in a place that was well-lit and in view of many people, and blocked it in with my car when i had the chance.

and just make sure you get good safety gear - helmet, a real riding jacket and/or full leathers, gloves, boots, etc. it's better to sweat than bleed!

some friends and i started a girls sporbike riding club out here - check out www.curveunit.com

marianne

16. carbonmotion thread starter macrumors 6502a

carbonmotion

hotties on bikes :))