My latest work - using a webcamera to control a computer!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by markoibook, Apr 25, 2004.

1. markoibook macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I've just recently finished my final year project for my Masters degree in Cybernetics and Computer Science, and am just after some feedback to what you think about it, and its potential as a future technology.

Basically, the aim of the project was to design a new way of interacting with computers for the future - and I've devised and built a system that allows a person to interact with a computer using a webcamera as an input device.

You can find more information on the project, including the demonstrations I have produced at my website - http://www.foylesystems.com - click on 4th Year project for details.

Thanks for your time!

PS. I know it was developed on a PC - but that was due to circumstances beyond my control ;)

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

pretty cool work you are doing there, good luck with your future endeavours.

3. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

cool stuff, have you seen the PS2 EYE TOY ? I think the games are pretty limited at the moment (mostly of the 'dance' kind I think), but they demoed some more advanced stuff at the game dev conference this year: The player could control a character on some glider, ducking, reaching out for bonus points, jumping etc...an easy way to make yourself look silly in the middle of the living room, ideal for alcohol enhanced parties :D

4. markoibook thread starter macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Incidently the PS2 EyeToy was released after I started work on the project, but in conclusion to my project I have noted that the success of the EyeToy shows that this type of human computer interaction has a strong potential for the future.
    Basically what I wanted to achieve with this work was to say "Hey, why do we still use such primitive ways of using computers?", and see and show what kind of things could be possible.

Again, thanks for the encourgament! :D

Marko