My lazy 4-in-1 problem post...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hob, Sep 3, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

OK, so I can't find anything on these problems so I decided to post them all here.

For a little while i've suffered from a couple of bugs/annoyances that I thought I should air. I've even ordered them by how much they annoy me!

1. If I have either or both of my iPods plugged in, iTunes seems to default to the "iPod Update is Complete" screen, rather than switching back to whatever I was looking at previously (i.e. the graphic eq or the track details.) this means that 9 times out of 10 when I check iTunes it just says "iPod Update is Complete"... (picture below, just for disambiguity purposes)
    2. My mighty mouse seems to have a little bug which seems to get randomly set off by use of button 4 - which I left as the default of all application windows exposé feature...
      What seems to happen is, i'll use the feature, the switch to an application, and suddenly the mouse won't select anything. Infact it will invariably deselect what I'm clicking on. I have to log out and back in again to get full mouse functionality restored.
    3. My keyboard also seems to stop responding randomly - which can only be restored (that I have found) by using command+tab, which seems to get it back in action. I first noticed this on my powerbook, but also now on my powermac.
    4. When I click File->Open or whatever, causing the "where do you want to save" or "what file do you want to open" dialog to drop down, my computer will beachball, sometimes as long as 30 seconds. I have a lacie d2 150GB external firewire disk hooked up, as well as my iPod 20GB 3G and sometimes a DVD or whatever, but in finder - there's never and hang. Even if the hard disk is spun down, it'll display at least the root of the drive whilst spinning it up.

Well, that's about it. I know there's a lot there, but if anyone could comment I'd be grateful :)

Attached Files:

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

I can only help you with #4... or rather, not help you; this is just the way it works--the dialogue won't display until all disks have spun up. The Finder is much better about that--it will only pause when a disk actually needs to be spun up. In fact, you can even navigate a slepping disk, so long as it has all the folders you're navigating cached already--I have, at times, dug several layers deep into a drive I'd looked at recently before it spun up.

I can add that #3 is not a standard issue, so it must be related to something that is installed on your computers or something that you do. (Assuming it's not an external wireless keyboard that's dying, that is.) Are there any system-level utilities/modifications you have installed on both? Does the keyboard stall only happen when you're using the Mighty Mouse, in which case it might be related to its driver?

Hope that helps a bit. I don't have a Mighty Mouse, and don't leave my iPod plugged in enough to notice any issues, so I can't help with the other two.

3. zakatov macrumors 6502a

zakatov

I also get the "ipod update is complete" screen a lot of times when my iPod is plugged in, even after switching to another "view" in the "lcd" of iTunes, so I think it's just a bug. Gotta live with it.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The #1 is very easy to solve.

Just click on the little arrow on the left of iTunes' fake LCD :)

5. hob thread starter macrumors 68020

hob

Yeah, I understand how to work the LCD, I was simply pointing out that iTunes seems to have changed, probably with 4.9, in that it seems to show that one particular message a lot...! Glad (in a way) I'm not the only one with this problem though.