my letter to steve

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by puuukeey, Mar 6, 2005.

1. puuukeey macrumors 6502

Subject: short formal complaint.
    Date: March 6, 2005 7:41:00 PM EST
    To: sjobs@apple.com

Dear Mr Jobs. my name is matthew aidekman. I'd like to note before continuing that despite the content of this email, I am a long time, dedicated mac user. I have two equally important concerns which I can not find a more appropriate contact for.

First is the design of the powerbook power adapter. 3 of the 5 I've owned have died, one sparked up the chord like a fuse. My local applestore (I live in short hills) tells me that due to the deformation of the jack, and refuses to replace it. My power adapters bend like this due to a shortcoming of the product. it bends after 3 days of typical use. sitting crosslegged with a plugged in powerbook causes this almost instantly. This is just irresponsible.

The second concern I have is that Apples brand impeding on its business strategy and the quality of it's products. I feel branding is ok when it's honest. However, I find it an increasing concern that the "perks" and "features" of os x are quickly stamping out 3rd party developer efforts. My suggestion would be to give the user the ability to turn off or uninstall many of the things hanging around os x. For example the aqua theme, the konfabulator rip, and spotlight.
    Think about it this way: If someone comes up with something better than the dock(I've got a better idea), its impossible to turn it off and therefor worthless to develop their idea. While this builds your brand it HINDERS INNOVATION on your platform. It reminds me of the apple, microsoft antitrust suit pertaining to IE. is any developer with an idea for an mp3 player going to develop it for mac? so macs innovation will never extend beyond apples own doing. Take a second look at the number of mac developers, then subtract the ones who just program weak mods to apple branded software and hardware. In general, you're left with corporate developers. this disturbs me to no end. I feel that continuing on this path would lead to an mac experience that feels more like a toy then a computer. I'm not saying stop working on these innovations, what I'm saying is that apple should treat them like apple branded 3rd party software with the ability to get rid of it to make room for something else. An os should be a place to start from not the end all be all of the user experience.

That being said, Keep up the good work.
    -Matthew Aidekman

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Next time you might want to Capitalize your name. My English teacher would have a field day with this letter.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You may want to write it in a business letter format. ;)

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

"konfabulator rip"? Not the best way to put it.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i had two ibook power adapters spark up on me and die out

it is definitely a weakness in the design...i hope apple fixes this soon

6. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

As for the bitches and moans about the OS, well if you don't like the features in OS X, then why buy a Mac? The Aqua interface, Dock, etc. are all part of the internal structure of OS X. They're not replaceable because its part of the core of the OS. Its just like saying take out the Taskbar, and the Start Menu in Windows. Its part of the OS, and without it, Windows can't function properly.

As far as I'm concerned, OS X is the best OS out there without a doubt. Its so far ahead of Winblows XP it isn't funny.

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

You don't need to be a teacher to see all the errors in this letter.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

the only thing i wish apple would changed about the dock is to be able to customize it like transparent dock can do.... other then that i love the OS

9. qzak macrumors 6502

Jobs actually reads?

Yeah, like mentioned you definetly should have typed this up in Word or some other program that will remind you that writing a letter is different than talking in an IM and fix the many errors in your email to the CEO of a major company.

But anyway, me being new to Macs (another thing, you may want to capitalize the name of the person's company and product when writing them a letter), I've seen people talk about sending suggestions to this email before. Is there proof that Jobs actually reads these, I mean obviously he's a busy guy.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I think using one of Apple's product feedback pages would have been a better idea. The last thing Steve needs to see is yet another poorly written email in his inbox....oh yeah!

11. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

The first two paragraphs are OK but you need to rewrite the third one.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i don't know if this thread is about the specific grammar of the letter or the content

i don't have os x, and only have used it a little, so i don't quite understand what the writer is getting at about os x

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm feeling you on the PB/iBook PS, but I think that if you're deforming them three days after getting them, then at least part of it, maybe, could be resolved by adjusting your sitting position or the way you hold the laptop? Or possibly, could you run off of the battery when you need to sit that way? A 90 degree elbow jack would definitely be more robust than what we have, but no power plug I've seen on a laptop is really designed to sustain a big shear force....

I can see them fraying, and I think Apple could definitely do better, but I've also had my first one for a year, and I haven't had issues with it, using it on the sofa, on the ground, on my lap, and in lots of other different arrangements. You're definitely not the only one who has had issues with this design, but I also don't think there are many people that are going through them as quickly as you are. It doesn't like there are many people who go through bottled water as fast as you're going through power supplies. ;)

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

duffman - usually you're insiteful and logical and this is no different except it doesn't accomplish the goal --- steve won't read that email but someone in his office might ... something might get accomplished, but I guarantee he gets plenty of these and if he really like or agreed with him he might do something about it and thats the point. feedback pages are BS, they are just there mostly to vent, its like a suggestion box, typcially, but not always, nobody reads them

15. Chubypig macrumors 6502

What is this "better idea"?

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i also have an idea but there is no way i will tell ;)

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, this reminds me of the five minute Abs guy from There's Something About Mary. :D

To the OP, is there something specifically wrong with the known ways to kill the dock, such as....

http://www.creativemac.com/2003/02_feb/tutorials/dockdead20302253.htm

As a developer, I'm sure you'd be comfortable with recreating the other things you lose (I think you might also lose Exposé when you do this?) as part of the dock replacement you're making?

18. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

You mean this page? The page with feedback for only iPod, PowerBook and Power Mac?

I guess they don't want any feedback from Mac mini, iBook and iMac users... :rolleyes:

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The dock is pretty easy to turn off (do a google search for the terminal command, or search on VersionTracker for software that disables and enables the dock), and you don't need to uninstall a feature to avoid using it!

20. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Can you elaborate a bit on this "power supply problem" you guys are talking about? I'm planning on purchasing a 12" iBook or PowerBook this month and these kinds of topics are making me nervous...

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

See here , and in particular the petition page that iChan links in here has some photos. The problems basically arise because the jack into the iBook/PB body is a straight / 180º plug, with the cable coming out perpendicular to the body, with some rubber reinforcement around the connection. If a lot of pressure is put on this, and it's routinely bent around, it can fray there. Similar issue at the brick end. But again, I've had mine for a year and I have not had this issue; I bought my second one (thanks, Bob! :)) from another MR user used, and it was in great condition as well. So it has happened to enough people that it is not merely a coincidence, but possibly not enough people that it's quite on the Firestone tire scale.

22. puuukeey thread starter macrumors 6502

my response

I doubt he'll get read it just makes me feel better.

as for the bitches and moans about my bitches and moans heres what I'm getting at. these are not CORE features. they are for the most part asthetic. apple would let people turn this stuff on or off if it werent their branding! if it keeps going we'll get to a place where apple offers all the software and developers need to hack it do get anything cool done! why do you think theres no resedit? Apple brags about all the stuff thats built into the system and open to developers to use, then it implements it in their apps and it falls on its face because no one could possibly dare challenge the all mighty itunes. the iapps and the system are great dont get me wrong but I want more than 20 apps available for my computer.

-matt

23. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Rather than developing a new replacement for the Dock, why don't developers focus on GAMES! I can't believe Mac users are happy with games like Solitare and Tomb Raider at their local Mac/CompUSA store. Perhaps the marketshare of PC sales will probably go down when Mac users don't have to buy a PC to play games.

Also I purchased the full version of MusicMatch before iTunes 1.0 came out and it wasn't on par with the PC version. I am glad Apple develops software. Still, it's good to provide feedback to Apple from the Support site.

24. iGary Guest

iGary

Your letter made a bunch of people at Apple laugh.

It never made it past the people that check his e-mail.