My life flashed before my eyes!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Jan 17, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Well, almost. I had the heimlich maneuver done on me today. I was at Rotary (a men's civic club) today, helping my brother with his presentation about Camp Rising Sun, a local summer camp for kids with cancer. We were eating early and I got something caught in my windpipe. After coughing several times and trying to throw it up, I got up to run to the bathroom, and a guy I was running past asked if I was ok. I shook my head no, he asked if could speak, and I couldn't. He grabbed me and hemliched me four times, I'm only 168 so it was easy to jerk me up a few times. It worked, I'm alive to make this post. I was fairly calm until right at the end there, when I realized I needed to get help.

So I'm okay now.

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Wow, that is scary. I'm glad that there was someone there quick-witted enough to recognize your need and help you out. I hope you are suffering no ill effects.

3. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Its the best when your life flashes before your eyes and you get to see bits that haven't happened yet! Once after eating a tablespoon of liquid lsd over the course of about two hours, I eventually lost all contact with my Self and began to experience reality with many of the more common filters of conciousness and many of the filters of Self awareness simply not present. I learned, basically, that all things are of one and while in this state I was able to both control people's movements and communicate with them nonverbally. During this time I briefly lost contact with all recognizable aspects of 'present' reality and, if I'm not entirely mistaken, experienced all of time from the beginning to end. Only highly compressed, taking place on another tier over the course of around 200 years. The 200 years were also compressed to fit within the timeframe of a 10-hour trip on the tier of origin. Memories of this part of the trip very occasionally resurface in the manifestation of vague precognizant abilities.

4. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

iSaint and anyone else reading this: Don't ever leave a room with people in it to go to the bathroom!

I did the heimlich on someone once. He was choking on a piece of meat and he was headed to the bathroom. I looked at him and asked him if he was choking and he nodded his head. I did the heimlich and he is fine today. Had he went into that bathroom, he would be dead. He sent me flowers the next day. :)

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

??? :confused:

6. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Whats the problem?

Oh yeah, good thing you didn't die isaint. That would have been a bogus way to go.

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Tell that to Mamma Cass.

That sucks man. I've never been in this situation (thankfully!) but I do know there is a self-inflicted heimlich that you can do on yourself. It looks like it hurts like hell though. :(

Glad you're okay!

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    At my First Aid course, they told us that people who actually choke to death are often found in the bathroom since they're embarrassed to stay in the dining room, restaurant etc. It's a very good piece of advice to stay with people and let them know what's happening. Seriously, if it doesn't clear itself with a couple of 'coughs' then it's not going to; and you'll be unconcious within a couple of minutes.

9. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Often times people run to a restroom for some privacy assuming they are going to throw up or to just not be seen choking. However, if you are in a serious state and run to the bathroom, your usually in there all alone (with the exception) of the grim reaper).

10. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    Where did you say you got that lsd again?

11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Some good advice, here about not running away from a crowd of help. Glad to hear you're okay, iSaint.

I think Johnny Rico's dog needs to do a heiny-lick maneuver on him. :)

12. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

It was made, supposedly, by a friend of a friend. I got a large quantity of extremely high quality liquid at a very low price. After repeatedly dosing myself heavily many times I still managed to get around 700 hits out of the vial. Quite a moneymaker that one.

13. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Good for you. Maybe you can use your knowledge of the future to tell me what the lottery picks are for this week.

14. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wow! good thing the person asked if you were ok and helped. I don't have a clue how to preform CPR, heimlich maneuver, etc.

15. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Thanks for the well-wishes everyone. And for your analysis(?) Johnny Rico.

Even though I was thinking of going to the bathroom, I knew really I was getting up to get someone to help me, or that I hoped they would! The heimlich popped into my head, like "am I going to need help?". So I got up and it wasn't getting better...we the story is there.

thanks!

Here's a how-to!

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's why diapers were invented, I guess.