My Logic Platinum Story :(

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sonicbaz, Feb 8, 2004.

1. sonicbaz macrumors member

May 13, 2003

I'm a loyal Logic Plat user.

A while back I bought the PC version of LAP 5.0 at this point I WAS aware that the product was going to go Mac only. I didn't have a Mac but wanted to be legal and felt that the heart of my studio was worth it and the PC 5.5.1 build was solid. I also understood that I had access to both versions with the one XSkey. This version cost be around AUD$1700 because I was able to upgrade from Notator, a good deal.

The 3rd quater of last year I decided I would like to finally get a Mac and so bought a G4 1.25 single where I installed my 1.5 gig RAM and my 2 UAD DSP cards. At the same time I bought the Logic 5 -> 6 OSX upgrade and the EVP88. This cost me around AUD$360 for the OSX update and US$199 for the EVP88.

Just before Xmas I decided to buy the ESXMKII, this cost me ~$500.

I am very excited with the new Logic Pro update but found out that the upgrade from LAP 5 OR 6 was the same $199, so I figure it's cost me around AUD$1000 extra to be a loyal and upto date customer. It's really a shame that this has definately changed my opinion of Apple, I understand that the value in the Logic Pro upgrade is well worth the money, but I really have to upgrade otherwise I end up losing more money. I am sure there are others that have been through a similar situation but I just wanted to write down how I felt hoping some Apple rep or SJ or somebody would understand that this type of scenario is not fair and just shouldn't happen. Not to mention that the Aussie price of the Logic Pro upgrade is $529.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

2. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK

I feel your pain! Many people have expressed similar sentiments on other Logic forums. It does seem unfair that people who've spent $100's on emagic plug-ins are in the same boat as those who haven't, but the overall feeling is that it would be just too difficult to administer a variable upgrade for all the different permutations of ownership.

The truth of the matter, however, is that the "loyal" emagic (Apple) customer who has invested in their products, often over equally good 3rd-party ones (Native Instruments, etc), is being disadvantaged in Apple's rush to attract new customers to their pro product.

And where, INHO, there is blatant profiteering is with the Space Designer reverb. This product was only announced a few months ago, and it must have been known to Apple/emagic for most/all of that time that it was to be bundled for free in the upcoming upgrade. So all those who shelled out $750 (roughly) have been screwed! All I can say is I'm glad I'm not one of them, or I'd be feeling pretty angry right now!