My Longhorn-lookalike Web Browser

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grabberslasher, Aug 28, 2004.

1. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

I made a cool web browser (using the Safari WebKit) that imitates the look-and-feel of Windows codename "Longhorn". It is a copy of the Glass part of Aero, the next Gen UI - using transparency to great effect.

It's still a work in progress and downloads only available to private testers (mail me for details), although hopefully I'll have a public release up later today.

This is my first app I've ever coded in Obj-C - I'm usually a RealBasic man.

Check the photo for more info.

Attached Files:

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

nice job. Not sure too many people want to skin Mac OS X to look like longhorn, but well done.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Exactly what I wanted to say... Not too many people waiting for your release ;) but well done.

BTW: Did you include a sort of "Blue screen of death" (in case it crashes) instead the standard message? :)

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Nice, not a fan of Windows but I'll give your program a try.

5. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

6. ezkimo macrumors regular

7. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Shows how ahead OS X is to Longtooth - I mean horn. All the eye candy Longto - horn offers, OS X already has the capability to do.

9. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

You are also looking at a different version of Longhorn, my app is based on the latest builds from Microsoft.

This app will have the ability to change renderers on the fly - as in switch to the Mozilla/Firefox renderer if you'd prefer. That's why it will be interesting.

There are plenty of people waiting for this, though not on this board. ;)

I will update this thread with a dl link once I release the public version.

10. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it' just for os x right? cause it looks really good...

11. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That's a cool idea... I'd love that ability (since I'm a web designer and need to check and see how things look in various browsers). Of course, it's not that hard to just load up Firefox. ;)

12. ezkimo macrumors regular

Oh...Build 4051 is close to that look though.. Could you post a screenshot of the version you are working with?

13. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Now see if you can make the UNIX prompt look like a DOS prompt and it will look more like Longhorn.

14. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'll give it a try as well. i do like the transparency... :D

just one suggestion, with the 'forward' & 'back' arrows, as they're not in-line with the address field, it kind of looks odd, throws out the whole 'gestalt' of the browser. :p on the right side of the address bar, the icons start small then go to large. if you could do somethin like that on the right side, or move up the address bar so everything is horisontally centered, that would most definitely make it more aesthetically pleasing. :)

edit>> i just did try it out. and wanted to say again, i love the transparency!!! :D

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It doesn't quit when you click the close button, therefore it's not like Windows :p

17. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah - I'm a beginner at Cocoa, how do you quit from the code? [app terminate]; or something? I could only figure out [self close]; at the time of writing... lol

This is not the final release - the buttons are on the fixing line. And I need to replace the ones I stole from Safari.

18. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Works for me, looks nice only a few crits.

Resizing is very slow, I doubt you can do much about that, quartz/my graphics card are probably causing that.

Resizing wigdget(?) at bottom right does not fit with the design of the program.

It crashed when I was browsing the forums.

Here is the log.

Attached Files:

• log.txt
      File size:
      23 KB
      Views:
  19. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting - it's never crashed for me. What exactly were you doing. And yes, it uses Quartx Extreme to its full extent for resizing, so if you have a bad card you'll get bad performance...

The resize widget I used was the easiest way of implementing it, it's OK for the moment.

20. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Just a side note - it works with most Safari plugins so with the safari PDF plugin it can read PDFs too.

21. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I was on MR trying to copy some text I believe.

22. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

Am posting this from the app itself. Just copied/pasted text, and drag and dropped text onto the desktop. Still works...

Maybe it was something specific to your machine... or set up... I dunno.

Edit: Maybe it was iGetter or MagicMenuEnabler or something.

23. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a new version available. Minor visual changes/bugfixes.

I am working on a Windows version now, and if I pull it off then I'll be very surprised: learning Objective-C and Visual C# in 4 days!

24. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I second that. In a Mac Forum you will not find many wanting a M$ look like browser.

25. grabberslasher thread starter macrumors 6502

The browser is skinnable - so you can make it look like anything you want. The main advantage of this browser would be the changing rendering engines and its small size.

(Although this build only has WebKit because the Mozilla build is being mean to me. I did a simple cvs checkout and it won't build).