My Lucky Day!!! Referb G5 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bob Dobbs, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Bob Dobbs macrumors regular

Ok I ordered the G5 1.8 that was on the SALE page at apple last saturday - listed as 512 Ram 160 HD, 5200 Ultra ... for $1799.00

this is what I got

1gig Ram, 250 HD, Radeon 9600, with the PCI-X and 8slots for ram

feeling pretty lucky today.

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm seriously considering going the refurb route for any 'new' Mac purchase from now on. Worst case is I get what I order - best case I end up like you with a complete bargain. That's sweet.

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Lucky bugger.

The apple techs don't bother to change a BTO model back to the standard.

They just treat them and street them.

4. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

They can't always change a computer back to its original config, ram etc is do-able but stuff like bluetooth can't be taken out. So as you said they literally check them out and put them up for sale. They list the specs on the refurb page and you buy someone elses custom config, theres always a buyer.

BUT

it seems that apple seem to mess up somewhere along the line (quite a lot:D) because many times people report getting more than they thought they were gonna get. Basically i think someone mis-boxes or makes a mistake somewhere along the line. Great isn't it? :)

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Doh. Dumb moment. Your machine must be a dual. You're right...sweet deal! :)

6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

7. molcas&e'sdad macrumors member

I've been thinking that buying from the refurb store is the way to go. I didn't realize all the potential benefits. Thanks for the info.

8. umgolfer macrumors regular

I was going to order that last Saturday too!!! They had those models and the 23" original cinema displays. I left and went to the football game and they were gone...shoot! Oh well congrats on scoring a good deal.

My experience with Apple on the phone has been terrible. I have spoke with them multiple times on the phone and never was happy (retail store has been excellent). I was ready to order the refurbs they had on Tuesday, but wanted to call and double check to make sure that I was right about the specs on the machine that I wanted (an original G5 2.0). I spoke with a guy on the phone that was wanting to tell me that the original model only came with the GeForce card and not the upgraded model. I am pretty sure he was wrong (I was looking at Everymac.com's specs on the original models and they say otherwise). He really annoyed me so I said goodbye to him and then went to Compusa and bought a new model 2.0. I really hate Compusa (talk about idiots to deal with ususally...), but I figured they would match the ADC Hardware discount so I gave it a chance. They did (although I did have to buy AppleCare) and I got my new 2.0 for $1999. I was very happy, although I couldn't get the better video card, I am absolutely amazed at how fast this thing is!

9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

CompUSA sounds like our PC World.

Staffed by morans who don't know a thing.

10. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Congrats Bob, I just ordered my own! I found an original dual 2.0 GHz G5 on the Apple store for $1,999.00 (512 MB/160 GB). What it did not say is which video card was in it. However, the stock card for that model was a 64 MB Radeon 9600 Pro, which I'd be pretty happy with (better than 5200), so hopefully that's what I'll get. Crossing my fingers that they either mess up or feel generous and send me a 9800 Pro instead :) . I worry a bit about the "chirping" issues and other things, because I've never bought a refurb model before, but I'm very excited anyway! Anyone have any other positive/negative experiences with refurbed Macs?

11. umgolfer macrumors regular

That was the one that I was ready to order, but the Apple guy on the phone was adamant that it only had the 5200 card. He said "he just talked to a tech guy" and that is what it had in it. I think he was full of crap, and it should have a 9600 Pro or better. Keep us updated as to what you get. Have fun with yours, I love mine!

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, I'm worried about that since all the other models listed their video card and the one I ordered did not. So I don't know if that was an honest omission or they're trying to pull something on me. It said the original price was $2,999 so I know it was one of the original 2.0 models. I can't find any evidence of those having any stock card other than the 9600. Oh well, worst case I end up with a 5200. It's still a lot faster than what I have now and I'll probably upgrade the graphics at some point anyway so I'm not too worried. Still feel like I got a pretty good deal, basically it's the same price as a current dual 1.8, except it's 11% faster, has double the stock RAM, double the RAM capacity, double the HD, and has the PCI-X slots which I need. Once I get over the sticker shock I think I will love it, especially once I start on those 3D renders which used to take my poor PowerBook half a week to complete. Now I can prolly do it overnight. Mwahahahaha!

EDIT: Just checked my order page and there it says "R9600" woo hoo!

13. coconn06 macrumors regular

On the online Apple store (store.apple.com) click the red tag image in the bottom right that says "Save." Those are all the Apple certified (refurbed) deals.

14. mocman macrumors regular

I purchased my Dual 1.8 via the refurb and was shipped a radeon card instead of the geforce. I will buy again from the apple refurb if I need anything else. Saved me Lots of CASH.

15. Psychic Shopper macrumors member

Praise Bob!

16. EKG! macrumors newbie

EKG!

hey Bob, same thing happened to me too ordering from the refurbished section

got my dual 2.0 G5 for $1999 (before tax) with system specs for 512 Ram and 160 HD and got 1 gig Ram and 250 HD instead, plus the upgraded radeon 9600. if anyone out there decides to buy a new mac, i highly recommend also checking out the refurbished section first!!! congrats on your new machine dude

17. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I bought an eMac through the refurb store, and it came as advertised. :(

Still got a sweet deal, though! ;)

18. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I got a dual 2ghz refurb.

it came with a gig of ram and a 250 gig HD as well. I was really happy about that.

been up 54 days now.. :) who says rev. A machines aren't stable?

19. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

anyone know how to tell a REV a: 2 giger from the REV 2?

Also is the warrenty etc the same on refurbished model?
    can you still get applecare?

Did rev a 2.0 models have jet plane fan noise problems?