Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I have a .Mac account, I love it the bad thing is that I have been recieving emails from various address that I do not recondnize! The emails have PC viruses! I have been recieving PC viruses through my .Mac account, but Norton Anti-Virus (which is built into Apple's .mac servers) detects the PC virus and destroyes it. I have no idea who these email addresses belong to. Since I am a Mac user I am imune to these PC Viruses (at least thats what I thuink), the wierd thing is why would a PC hacker send a PC virus to a .Mac account? Isn't it kind of obvious? Well I dont know what to do! Should I contact Apple? This has happend 3 or 4 times, I have documented the emails by saving the letter or taking a screenshot of the screen. The virus is calles something like "Win32 Klez H@mm" I can't remeber the name correctly, but I have it saved on my other mac. The thing is I'm shocked! How did these person(s) get my address? And how can I make them stop sending me email? The sender address of the message is always different and so is the subject, i really need help here! I don't know what to do, can Apple help, I hope the PC people don't send me a Mac Virus otherwise I don't know what I would do, I really need help! Please!! :( Sorry for the bad speling but I need help QUICK!

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
don't worry...most of these are likely sent by mail servers infected with viruses... and they prolly only have your email address because it's floating around on a few lists like all of ours. nothing to worry about really

and doesnt .mac use virex and not NAV?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
oh....

You can download Virex for Mac OS X but the .Mac mail i guess is disinfected by some Norton program (i ont know if it is anti-virus) here is the screen shot:
mailprob.jpg

Please look at the message, maybe it will help you understand what is happening

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
i wasn't aware that .mac had any kind of server-based virus protection (then again, i wouldn't if they did -- i don't pay for crap like .mac).

Anyways, if you have a Virex question -- anything whatsoever, and you're a .Mac subscriber, fire off an email to support@pica.com.au w/your .Mac username. They should be able to help you.

Keep in mind that macs are pretty immune to viruses -- there are 170 known Mac viruses and there are over 85,000 known PC viruses. you do the math :)

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
there's no danger to you whatsoever. just let your pc friend know (s)he has got a virus and needs to clean their system. until they do that, you can't get the attachment (unless you use a non-.mac acct)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Originally posted by j763
there's no danger to you whatsoever. just let your pc friend know (s)he has got a virus and needs to clean their system. until they do that, you can't get the attachment (unless you use a non-.mac acct)

I don't know any of these people who keep sending me these e-mails, thats the problem, the address changes all the time, I can't even use Mail's "Bounce" feature (thats what it's called right?) Oh well I guess its no biggy... thanks for all of your help guys I really apreciate it (DAM!? How do you spell that word, aprechi.... apricheat....apreciate?) oh well...
:D ;) :p

brogers

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2002
Greensboro, NC
Re: My .Mac Account and VIRUSES! HELP! PLEASE!

Originally posted by LimeiBook86
I have a .Mac account, I love it the bad thing is that I have been recieving emails from various address that I do not recondnize! The emails have PC viruses! I have been recieving PC viruses through my .Mac account, but Norton Anti-Virus (which is built into Apple's .mac servers) detects the PC virus and destroyes it. I have no idea who these email addresses belong to. Since I am a Mac user I am imune to these PC Viruses (at least thats what I thuink), the wierd thing is why would a PC hacker send a PC virus to a .Mac account? Isn't it kind of obvious? Well I dont know what to do! Should I contact Apple? This has happend 3 or 4 times, I have documented the emails by saving the letter or taking a screenshot of the screen. The virus is calles something like "Win32 Klez H@mm" I can't remeber the name correctly, but I have it saved on my other mac. The thing is I'm shocked! How did these person(s) get my address? And how can I make them stop sending me email? The sender address of the message is always different and so is the subject, i really need help here! I don't know what to do, can Apple help, I hope the PC people don't send me a Mac Virus otherwise I don't know what I would do, I really need help! Please!! :( Sorry for the bad speling but I need help QUICK!

Same here. Has been happening for about 2 weeks now. Norton detects the virus and rids the attachment, but I am a little nervous about it. I have Virex and it always gives me a clean bill of health when I run it. I don't know these people either and I have tried a reply, but nothing seems to work.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
good...

Well it's good to know that it's not just me, I was a little worried there for a second but now I am calmed down :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.