My mac apps are not responding

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Poogie Bear, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Poogie Bear macrumors member

Most of my mac apps are not respondning, AFTER INSTALLING itunes 6.0.5
    Safari,mail, iphoto, ical, address book, disk utilities are not working at all
    Has any one else have the same problem or is it something else?:confused:
    I need help :eek:

2. Poogie Bear thread starter macrumors member

3. MacMarvin macrumors member

Sigh, I don't mean to pick on you particularly but you really need to give more information. See the amount of posts I've seen in my life along the lines of 'my computer is broke, what do I do'.

When you say apps are not responding, what do you mean? Are they bouncing in the dock, are they not appearing in the dock at all, are they hanging up after they launch or are they hanging up during use? Is it just certain applications that are causing issues or do none of your apps work? What machine are you using, what OS version? Which update did you install, 10.4.7? Was it combo, standard update or via software update? Have you tried reinstalling the update? What does the console say when an application is launched? Did you repair permissions, or do a drive check with Disk Utility?

4. Poogie Bear thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that

I have a dual powermac G5 pc 3200 running Os 10.3.9
    After installing Itunes 6.0.5 via software my mac apps
    bouncing once after launch,then they don't respond at all
    I have to right click on my mouse and force quit
    Safari, iphoto, mail, disk utilities, Aduim, font book etc...
    All my Adobe programs work and most 3rd party apps work fine
    I tried repair permission but i can't get to it either

5. discoforce macrumors 6502a

discoforce

Good description :)

Have you tried any of these? EDIT: whoops you have tried repairing permissions.

I'd boot from your installation CD and run Disk Utility to repair permissions and disk.

6. MacMarvin macrumors member

Since you can't run disk utility from the system, I'd suggest booting into single user mode by rebooting and holding command-s. This will take you to a command line. To check your disk for problems, type

fsck -f

and let it do its thing. To repair permissions, type

sudo diskutil repairPermissions /

Once you are done type reboot and hit return.

The thing is, I wouldn't have thought itunes would be the problem because it's just an app - it's not a system component like say Quicktime is.

Can you launch the console in /Applications/Utilities? If not, you can open the logs in /library/logs manually and see what they say. Mainly the ones in /library/logs/console/501/

Also check the log files in /Users/<name>/Library/Logs.

7. Poogie Bear thread starter macrumors member

Tried every thing you said thanks for your help
    But still can fix the problem
    Thank god firefox works and quicktime work fine too
    I tried using safari on my guest user account and everything else that wasn't
    working on my account works fine.

8. MacMarvin macrumors member

If the apps work under a guest account, it could be corrupted caches or preferences that are the problem. Try moving your /Users/<name>/library/preferences folder onto the desktop or wherever and log out and in again. Everything like the Finder will be default but don't worry because you can put them back. If that doesn't sort the issue, put the prefs back, log out and in again.

Using Firefox, download cocktail ( http://www.maintain.se/cocktail/ ) and open it. Go into the files panel and choose the caches tab. Select system and user. Click options and choose virtual memory, kernel caches, core files. Close the box and click clean. When it's done, reboot so that OS X can rebuild you cache files - boot will take a bit longer.

9. Poogie Bear thread starter macrumors member

Oohhh Yeah!!!!!

Macmarvin Thank you man
    I did what you said and everything is working the way they should.
    :D :) :cool: