My mac cant write on a specific folder at my school network - but Windows can

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jbourassa, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jbourassa macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    So after managing to connect to the domain server, I still can’t write on a specific folder on the network.

I have acess to two special folders that are restricted. The first one is the one I am allowed to do back ups on, and the second one is where I should be handing in my projects/papers … the most important one!

The network administrator said the security is not the same on these two folders. I can acess to the back up one just fine, which is on server1, but I cannot drop anything in the « hand in » folder, which is on server2. Windows PCs just drag their files to the folders – they dont have the acess to view (or list, not sure how its called) whats actually in the folder.

But with my mac, for some reason, when I hit « Apple + I » on the folder it says I can both write and read… Yet I receive an authorization error when I am trying to drag a file in the folder.

What I tried so far :
    1. using my domain user name as my computer network name.
    2. setting the workgroup properly in my SMB options.

I think that’s all the info I have – if I am missing something, just let me know, I’ll try to get it.

Thanks a ton for the help.
  2. Gee macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2004
    London, UK
    Does it say that you can't put things into the folder, or that you don't have the privileges to see the results of your action? (The second one means, I think, that it will copy it over, but won't tell you that it has.)
  3. Tel macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2005
    Yeah, if its a drop box (ie you can put things in but have no access to view whats inside) then it should tell you that you don't have the privileges to see the results but it will copy it over anyway.
  4. jbourassa thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    It says (translated) : Impossible to complete the operation : you dont have the requiered authorisations (sp?) requiered to do certain things.

So I really cant write.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Login from a Windows machine to see if your file was successfully copied to the dropbox.
  6. jbourassa thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    I just tried, my teachers said he didnt get the files i put in there.

And I couldnt read the directory whatsoever, even with a windows PC.

Any other idea?
  7. baummer macrumors 6502a

Jan 18, 2005
    Southern California
    Have the Net Admin see if he can give your user account specific access to the drop box. He should be able to do an override or at least assist you with troubleshooting. It sounds like a network translation error. By chance, are the servers Windows Server 2003? I've heard of complications getting Macs to work well in such an environment, and usually little things, such as not being able to write to a folder.
  8. jbourassa thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    Ok, today I tried ADmitMAC, and it worked just fine. But I don't want to buy it, and the tryout version is only for 15 days.

Also, I am trying to figure this to write a guide for the other students that are using MACS - and I know that most people cant afford to pay 110$ US just to enable a drop box!

Is there a solution or an alternative? What does ADmitMAC changes from the basic OSX samba client?

Thanks again for the help.
  9. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    Is your teacher averse to you just emailing the file to him/her? Unless this file is really big, then I'd suggest you copy it to a thumb drive, either yours or your teachers.

Not a solution I realize, but a simple alternative until you figure out the network problem.
  10. jbourassa thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    Teachers in previous years didnt mind getting my works by email or whatever - but one of my teacher is a ***** nazi and wont let me hand in my stuff by any other way. I offered him to drop it into another folder on the network, he said "I don't want to bother doing another operation for you", or something along the line.

You get the picture. So far I have been asking my friends to drop my projects, I wouln't mind doing it for the rest of the year but I also have to find a way to do it in order to complete the "How to pass your grades with a MAC" guide I chose to write as the heritage project. (a project where you have to leave something behind for other students)

I wish I had a billion dollars, I'd buy hundreds of ADmitMAC licenses haha!

So in what way is ADmitMac changing the Samba client? there must be an alternative somewhere (been googling it, I still haven't found anything)

Mucho love and thanks for all the help.

edit : fixed typos
  11. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
    I can relate. :)

See if you can speak with the network admin in person, get on friendly terms and ask your questions and see what he/she thinks. Also mention that you are wanting to know this because of your project you are completing. If you cater to his/her ego (without gushing) more than likely they'll open up to you and explain all sorts of things.

I did something similar back in high school and ended up getting a job during and after school working with the admin on computers, the network and helping out teachers. It could be profitable for you as well as fix this dilemma of yours. Not certain of your entire situation, just a side thought to consider as well. Good luck.
  12. jbourassa thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 25, 2004
    I guess im going to ask for help on Apple's forums.

Ill keep you tuned.