Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
Ive been downloading some files from work using
Transmit. its over 4 gigs of video. last night i was 2 hours away
from completion then my friend decided to restart my mac...

now for some reason my file is back to 0kb. so i guess
OS X deletes any unfinished files on restart...

is there anyway to retrieve these files??? they wernt in the trash
:(

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
Lesson #1 never interrupt your computer when it is working. Of course you have to start over. Don't blame the computer, blame yourself for letting somebody touch it well work is being done. I'm still old school in my computer habits, I don't to multiple tasks, I don't run apps in the background, like iTunes or email. I believe the computer will do its work faster if it devotes it CPU time to the task I want to complete. I run 3 apps, Photoshop, Quark and Illustrator all day, I need the CPU for those apps. If you want music then turn on a stereo or use an iPod. Get in the habit of checking for email manually. And don't let friends touch your computer.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Dane D. said:
Don't blame the computer

Really, what happens is *not* dependent on OS X. It's dependent on Transmit, and whether or not it was designed to recover interrupted transmissions. The file might be somewhere in a cache file, but Transmit has to have a system of committing part of the code to the file being downloaded in the filesystem. It isn't an OS X thing. This issue is true for downloading software on every platform. I'm sure you can find an alternative to Transmit (is that FTP or gnutella?) that has such a feature....

jkballer23

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2006
if it is one large video file, then I would think it would not complete if interupted. But, if there were lots of smaller files, then I would think some will still be left over if they were copied over completely.

thumper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Under the Sea
i dont really care whos fault it was, :p
thats not what this is about.

i just want to know if its possible to recover the file
with a program or something.:(

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
mkrishnan said:
I'm sure you can find an alternative to Transmit (is that FTP or gnutella?) that has such a feature....
In my opinion, Transmit is the best. It's FTP.

jtalerico

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2005
What dir were you saving it to?

Go to that dir using Terminal then do a ls -all

Post what you get.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
when you download files direct from safari, dont they save a .download file to the desktop (or wherever you save your files) so that you can resume if you interupt it?

i can usually open half files, as long as they are images, audio or video.

if you download through a service though, then the situation may be different.....have you tried spotlight to locate any files?

S

khammack

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2004
Portland, OR
lilstewart92 said:
In my opinion, Transmit is the best. It's FTP.

If transmit loses an entire file when a download is interrupted, I'd say that's a serious drawback no matter how convenient and featureful the rest of the program is.

I use wget. Wget would have left a partially downloaded file, and if you restarted it would resume the download where it left off. Of course it's a command line / unix program.

-kev

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.