My mac finally died. New one please :-)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jesses, Apr 4, 2007.

1. jesses macrumors regular

jesses

Hi, first thread here. I've been lurking these forums for a week now. I like this place.:) Well anyway, my PowerMac G4 has finally died. It lasted 7 years. My dad said it would be better to just buy a new computer, instead of repairing it. So, why not? I've been looking at mac minis and macbooks. I am usually just surfing the web, IMing, and alot of photo editting. I am aware of leopard and the santa rosa thing to come out, but puzzled with which to get. I'd perfer one that will last a long time, and i'm guessing the mac mini would last longer than a macbook. But the macbook is appealing to me. If i were to hook up the macbook to a display for a majority of the time it is being used, will that increase it's lifespan? I'm stuck on this.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The Macbook has a Core2Duo chip while the mini is only CoreDuo. So, according to many, the mini is overdue for an upgrade. It is certainly more future proof than the mini. The iMac is probably the best value for the money if you want a desktop. The macbook is portable. The mini is the cheapest if you don't upgrade too much and use your old keyboard and monitor. It depends on what you value most.

Many will tell you to wait a couple of months to save the $129 on Leopard and $79 on iLife '07 (and possibly updated machines). If you need a computer now and extra expense of buying Leopard doesn't matter to you then do it. Best wishes.

3. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I envy you folks than can keep machines for 7 years.

Try the newly announced Quadcore Mac Pros. Most likely to last you 14 years

4. jesses thread starter macrumors regular

jesses

I've decided on the Macbook. Unless a huge upgrade is done to the mac minis that would change my mind. haha. I won't need an iMac since I have a monitor and keyboard/mouse. And daneoni, I'd love the new quadcore mac pros, but that is waay out of my budget. haha.
    also, one more question. Since i will be ordering from Macmall or the Apple store. It seems that the black mbs are only with specific specs. I'm going for the 2Ghz and 1 GB RAM, but it's only in white. Can i still get it in a black color?

5. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I dont see why not

6. cayley macrumors member

The current Black macbooks comes with a 2ghz Core 2 Duo and 1gb of memory. You might be looking at the last generation one.

7. jesses thread starter macrumors regular

jesses

i forgot to mention it only having a 80GB HD. The second one there is the one i'm aiming for. only white. But whatever, i could live with a white mb. It's still a mb.
    http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/macbook/

8. Whistleway macrumors 6502

You seem to be a longtime user. You might as well wait for a month and get Leopard and iLife? That would help you last for another 7 or so years :)

9. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Yeah, I don't get how they do it.

OP: You sound youngish...so maybe you're going to college soon? If so I'd reccomend a Macbook. But you might as well wait for Santa Rosa, Leopard, etc. They'll be out before the schoolyear.

10. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

11. deasine macrumors member

deasine

Get a MacBook, no question. Mini is overdue of an upgrade. I would get a MacBook if there wasn't the MacBook Pro (well I use Windows too though I hate it). XD But with your usage, I would get a MacBook after Leopard comes out.

Haha... just look at an overall lifespan of a MacBook compared to a Dell Laptop (7 YRS+ compared to 2 YRS) LOL

12. jesses thread starter macrumors regular

jesses

i'm real young, 15 only. Going into junior year highschool when fall comes. But, if i can keep a macbook for 7 years, i'll be well into college.
    and yeah, i've been using macs at home my whole life.(only windows @ school..) and everyone in my family uses one, so i'm no stranger to macs. haha. And the powermac that lasted 7 years was mine for about..maybe 3 of it's years. My dad passed it onto me when he bought an eMac. so, well yeah. I'm set for waiting for leopard and santa rosa. Thanks for all the advice!

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I had a PM G4 sawtooth for 6 years. I just kept upgrading it- new processor, RAM, video card and hard drive. It's still in use. I sold it to a friend at work and he loves it. He's had it for a year now with no problems and no regrets. The G4 towers were awesome.